Chapter 2

We finally got to our base, and I saw him. The new guy.

"Austin, before you try, please do not read my mind," Brandon said to the new guy.

"Hey, my name's Peyton. It's a pleasure to meet you."

He smiled and shook my hand.

"My name's Austin. It's nice to meet you, too."

I looked over at Brandon, and I started to worry. He was tomato red, and he looked like he was about to die.

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just need some fresh air," he said as he walked out.

I followed him out.

"I know there's more you're not telling me. What's wrong for real?"

"Nothing," he said as he rubbed his forehead.

"I know that's not the truth. If you ever need to talk, just let me know, okay?"

"You're right, it's not the truth. But I don't want to tell you right now," he answered.

6 MONTHS LATER

I, Austin, and Brandon have been training for the last six months. We've decided that if we had powers, we should put them to good use.

I got a text from Brandon, and it said: "Austin is sick today, so we'll have 2 go without him"

We explored a nearby forest, in hopes of finding a good place for a new base. The old one is just too small, and our powers are getting stronger, so we need more space to train.

"Umm... Could I tell you something? A secret?" Brandon asked.

"Yes, you can tell me anything. I won't tell anyone," I promised.

"I thought I was straight, but I think I like Austin. As in like-like him. I don't know why, it's just something that I can't explain. I think he suspects, though. Do you remember that one time I just suddenly turn extremely red? That's when I first realized I liked him," he explained.

At first I didn't know how to reply, because this was a huge surprise to me, but I eventually came up with what to say.

"I support you and your decision," I said as I smiled at him.

"Thanks," he replied as he smiled back.

"Maybe you should ask him out since you've liked him so long," I suggested.

"No, he's probably not gay... I'd rather not get rejected," he said with a frown.

"You don't know until you try."

"I don't want to ruin mine and his relationship."

"You only live once," I said, encouragingly.

"You have a point. If he does say no, I'll just act like nothing happened. I'm gonna do it!"

I smiled as he said this. It was so cute! But also I've never had a gay friend.

1 HOUR LATER

"Hey Austin. Can I talk to you? Without you reading my mind?"

At this point, Brandon wanted to back down, but he knew it was too late.

"Sure," the Brandon's crush replied.

They went outside, alone.

Brandon's hands began to tremble.

"Well... I'm... I... I'm gay.... And–" he was cut off by Austin.

"I'm gay too! And... I like you.... Like, you know... As a boyfriend...." Austin said, nervously.

"So... Does this mean we're dating?"

"Yeah, I hope so. If you want to be my boyfriend."

"Of course! I was actually about to ask you to date. So, is it okay if we tell Peyton?"

"If it's okay with you, it's okay with me," Austin said as he took Brandon's hand.