HAPPY BIRTHDAY?

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN/ONE
HAPPY BIRTHDAY? (ALTERNATE TITLE: BENJAMIN IS THE BEST)

this is me trying | TAYLOR SWIFT"i've been having a hard time adjusting,i had the shiniest wheelsnow they're rusting

"i've been having a hard time adjusting,
i had the shiniest wheels
now they're rusting."

The summer of 1995 had been a slow and hot one. The heat in the air was almost unbearable, and yet Cora had spent the entire time cooped up in her brothers tiny one-bedroom London flat. Don't get her wrong, she loved living with her brother and Benjamin, but she would have liked to be able to breath the fresh air.

The whole summer Christopher had been paranoid, ever since that night in the graveyard he believed she was a target. That their parents would do anything to get her back into their clutches. So, she had been forbidden to leave the apartment, spending her days wasting away the time. And painting. She had found solace in the art form and used it to express her feelings, without having to say them aloud.

Not only was she under house arrest, but most of the time was spent alone. Benjamin had to go to work every day and when Chris wasn't at work, he was with the Order. Christopher had revealed to her that Dumbledore had approached him last summer to recruit him for the fight against Voldemort. It worried her, he never told her where he was going or what he was doing. It made being in the home all that much worse.

Nightmares plagued her almost every time she closed her eyes. No matter how much she painted, wrote, ignored, they still remained. Some days she felt okay, and it felt like her life was moving and so was she. Other days she couldn't even manage to get out of bed, wallowing in self-pity. Those days were hard, they were the ones that felt like they would never end.

Her motivation was the fact she knew deep down in her soul Cedric would be disappointed. He would've wanted her to live her life, get back out there and most of all be happy. So she tried, she tried to make him proud of her.

It was the 8th of August 1995, a day which happened to be her 17th birthday. The day had gone slowly, birthdays were never really her thing but this one was special. Not only was she finally able to use magic outside of school, she got to spend it with people who actually cared about her.

Chris and Ben had surprised her by taking the day off, a day which they spent playing board games, watching TV and cooking. She had specifically told them to not get her any presents, which of course they ignored, gifting her with a new broom for the upcoming quidditch season.

That night they actually sat at the table, a rare occasion as dinner time usually occurred on the couch. A Sunday roast was served, mostly for the irony that it was a Tuesday. It was nice, sitting in the comfort of her family.

"I am never going to get used to the silent Holloway family dinner." Christopher and Cora had been raised to never really speak at the table. It was just something they didn't do. All throughout their childhood they never really spoke to their parents, ever.