KISS OF DEATH

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO/SIXTEEN
KISS OF DEATH (ALTERNATE TITLE: IS HARRY THE DUMBEST PERSON CORA HAS EVER MET? PROBABLY.)

i know the end | PHEOBE BRIDGERS"but i'm not gonna go down with my hometownin a tornado"

"but i'm not gonna go down
with my hometown
in a tornado"

Cora Holloway was going to kill someone. Most likely Harry James Potter, but truly anyone who came into the path of her wrath was a good enough contender.

The air was cold as it whipped around her face, her hair flowing gracefully behind her. The night was dark, the only light was offered by the towns and cities beneath her. In the shadows she could barely see the creature she was flying. Its body hidden, melting into the space underneath her. She guessed she was lucky. Nearly half of the children behind her couldn't even see the thestrals, even a little bit.

Her arms were placed neatly in her lap. The methodical flapping of the wings provided her some stability, something for her mind to concentrate on. She let it wander anywhere but where she was. She couldn't face the repercussions of her actions, not yet at least.

"I'm going to chuck! Seriously guys!" Ron's voice flittered through the air, barely landing upon Cora's ears. She could feel some of the others respond to his jibe. But those words were lost to the wind.

Time was passing in a way that was incomprehensible. Her mind protecting her. But whether it was years or seconds, she felt the creature under her leg start to plummet towards the ground. Somehow understanding where the band of teenagers needed to go.

She wobbled slightly as she slid off of the thestrals back, her feet hitting the ground harshly. But the feeling was nothing she wasn't used to. Years of long quidditch practices preparing her sense of gravity well. The rest of the group did not fare as well. Neville and Ron were particularly disorientated, while Ginny and Hermione seemed to be shaking from the cold.

She reached out to graze her hands across the thestrals neck. Giving it some attention, in return for the long flight they endured. She rested her forehead on the side of its face, just next to its eye. She felt it huff in return, but nuzzle into the girl nonetheless. With one final breath she moved away, giving it permission to take to the skies once again. She wondered it they would go back to Hogwarts, or wait around for the group. She knew it was probably useless to expect that though. Who knew if they'd even make it out.

"Never again...never again..." Ron muttered from behind her. But she paid him no attention, her gaze locked on the red phone booth across the road.

Her words escaped her mouth, instead she motioned for the younger kids to follow her across the road. She waited until they were all stuffed inside the phone box, before entering herself, slamming the door behind them.

"Whoever's nearest the receiver, dial six two four four two!" Harry shouted. She couldn't see who dialled the numbers, as despite being the oldest, she was the shortest by a long shot. Her eyes couldn't see past the shoulders of Neville.