THE LIFE AND TIMES OF CORA HOLLOWAY

CHAPTER ONE
THE LIFE AND TIMES OF CORA HOLLOWAY (ALTERNATE TITLE: LIVE FAST DIE YOUNG)

growing up | MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS"take risks, cause life moves so fastyou're only young once, my loved one, this is your chance"

"take risks, cause life moves so fast
you're only young once, my loved one,
this is your chance"

Cora Holloway could be described as many things, but most of all she was charming. She held herself with such an air of elegance and eloquence that she could entrap and persuade anyone to do just about anything. She walked with grace and radiated beauty. Her posture was always perfect and her uniform pristine.

People envied her in whatever she did. Yet they were drawn to her composure and kindness. She smiled softly at everyone she passed and acted as if everyone were her equals (even though no one was). She was perfection, or at least she was taught to be.

Cora Holloway was born at exactly seven o'clock in the evening of the 8th of August 1978, to her parents - Clarissa and Daniel Holloway. Being born into the zodiac family of the Leo, Daniel had been inclined to name her just that, hoping she would grow up to be as fierce as the lion. But Clarissa had other plans and insisted she be named Cora, not only to keep the up with the family tradition of names starting with C. But Cora meant maiden, something Clarissa was going to teach her to be.

The Holloway's were one of the most respected pure-blood wizarding families in Britain, part of the 'Sacred Twenty Eight'. While this fact was a source of pride within both Clarissa and Daniel, neither particularly projected the typical anti-muggle ideals of other pureblood families. Sure, Clarissa spoke ill of those she deemed 'blood-traitors' and Daniel would continue to look down on muggle borns until he met his death. However each decided to instil in their children pride in their name, the status of their family - not the purity of their blood.

Clarissa had already birthed a son, Christopher, by the time Cora arrived into the world. But from his birth Clarissa knew that something wasn't quite right. So she threw her attention onto her new baby daughter. Alike the other pure blood families they socialised with, from the time she could walk and talk Cora was taught how to present herself. How to speak properly, eat properly, walk properly, write properly. Taught how to dance, how to sow, how to speak Latin, French and Russian. She was taught how to please people. How to be the best she could be. Christopher wasn't.

Never the less that didn't stop the two from having an extremely close bond. Christopher was old enough to see that Cora needed someone to confide in, to let her walls down, to trust. He became that person. Every time he would come home from school she would bound down the stairs and wrap her little arms around him. They would spend time under the oak tree in the garden of their estate and catch the other up on what they had missed.

Christopher would tell her of the amazing things at Hogwarts. The moving paintings, the spells, the feasts, the creatures that roamed the grounds and interesting things he had learnt. Little Cora would tell him all about the pretty dress she had worn to the last dinner party. Or the fun things she had learned how to say in French. Or the book she had last read. When their Mother called them into tea they went smiling.