The amused grin that spread across his features only made her blood boil. He stood up slowly and with each step he took, Charlotte took one backwards.

She convinced herself that she didn't do it out of fear. She did it because she didn't want to stand close to the vile creature.

But in truth she was afraid. Very very afraid. The men and women behind her held no loyalty for her. Or even if they did, they still seemed to believe this lying cheating worm. After all even she couldn't deny how closely he resembled her brother.

"Am I?" He came to a stop a few feet from her and crossed his arms over his chest. "I am Prince Gideon Von Reichborn, the rightful King of Frahadry."

The mumbling resumed after the proclamation and Charlotte didn't know what to do. She tried to hold herself steady. But everything was happening too quickly. She couldn't make sense of any of it.

"Prince Gideon is dead."

She whirled around to see who had spoken. It was Lord Hayden, standing tall and proud, his stance threatening as he stepped towards them.

The swell of gratitude in her heart almost made her cry. But she reigned in the tears and with a thankful nod towards the northerner, turned back with new conviction.

"Is he? Or is that what you've been led to believe?" Diego hadn't lost any of his bravado and his eyes still seemed to be laughing at all of them. As this was all one big joke.

"It is the truth."

"And yet, here I am. Let me tell you my side of the story and the gracious court here," Diego motioned to the gathered crowd, "can judge which one is more likely."

He didn't give her a moment to respond, instead starting his tale with a despondent sigh. His shoulders sagged and he seemed to be reliving countless bad memories.

She didn't buy the act for one moment.

"On a night, many nights ago. When the Queens all appeared together in the sky. My dearest sister was born. She was special you see. Born with the Elemantas. The gift for reasons unknown, skipped me. Hence I was the unwanted first-born. I remember my own grandfather never liked me. He died a few months before that fateful night that changed my life. My father wasn't very accepting either."

Here he started to pace the floor. Charlotte could hear murmurs of assent and sympathy from the courtiers and the knot in her stomach tightened. That wasn't true. She hadn't known her grandfather but she knew her father loved Gideon with all his heart. King Maxim was proud of his son and didn't consider him broken. If anything Charlotte often found it hard to fill her brother's place.

"My father, your king," Diego continued, his voice cracking dramatically, "didn't think I was worthy. And the child that was born with the sign from the Great Queens was a girl. He didn't like that turn of events much. But I suppose he reconciled himself to the thought of having his daughter on the throne. The damage had been done by then and it was too late for my mother. When the king learnt of the gender of his second-born he flew into a rage. I was there. I witnessed it. The horrific brutish wrath of the Northern Tribes..."

The hall was completely silent. She knew many of the courtiers hadn't been in favour of the deal that her grandfather had struck with the people of Halvaik. They were considered savages. Brutal, uncivilised people. But her father had won the hearts of the people when he came to wed the young princess Isabella of Frahadry.

But maybe a lingering doubt of his mannerisms and ways still remained. Her father had adjusted but he wasn't well suited for life at the palace. She saw it often. He was a good leader but the pomp and show made him squirm.