Gasping, I sit up. I had never had dreams like those before. It was almost as though they were...visions. But that was ridiculous. Visions were not real. But that one...felt real.
Nebt wandered in. "Ah, Princess, you are awake at last. Come, I shall get you dressed.,
"How long was I slumbering for?"
"Over a day. I came in to check on you every thirty minutes, but until now, you were sound asleep."
"A day? Did I miss anything important?"
"No," replied Nebt as she chose one of my favourite dresses. "It was merely a recovery day."
I nodded. "And what about today?"
"Today," Nebt said. "You will be having breakfast with the Pharaoh and Queen."
"Oh," I said, surprised. "Just me?"
Nebt shrugged. "I'm not sure. I wasn't told."
I couldn't reply as she began doing my hair, and any movement would ruin it. I watched in the big piece of glass on the wall that served as a mirror as she twisted my hair into all sorts of beautiful braids and brushed my hair.
"You are ready," she told me, standing back. I stood up to admire my outfit.
"Thank you," I smiled, as I walked out and into where we had out meals. Meritaten and Smenkhkre were already waited. I bowed as I entered the room.
"Ankhesenpaaten, you need not bow to us! You never did before," exclaimed Meritaten. Smenkhkre did not say anything, but I could tell he disagreed. I smiled.
"But sister, before you were not Queen. Now you are. And I did bow to Smenkhkre as he was the heir."
"Nonetheless, we are the same people we were before. From now on you are not to bow to us. Understood?"
"Of course."
"Sit," Meritaten indicated. I did as she asked, but I felt a little uncomfortable. Why was Meritaten acting so nice to me now? So...sisterly?
"Is anyone else attending breakfast with us?" I asked Smenkhkre politely.
He shook his head. "No. Meritaten wished to speak to you now."
"Oh." For the second time that day already, I was surprised. My sister was action very...strange. Smenkhkre was the same as usual - I doubted he was capable of any change. But why the sudden change in Meritaten? Is it because she was Queen? Or something else?
Meritaten opened his mouth to say something, but then the servants entered with the food, so she did not say anything. They quietly placed the berries and nuts and wine and other foods on the table and scattered quickly. I suppose they were as scared of Smenkhkre as I was.
"This may sound strange," Meritaten said. "But Smenkhkre and I have been talking. Ankhesenpaaten, command is lonely. See, Smenkhkre has got Ay, even though I think he is a bad choice, but I need something as well. Ankhesenpaaten, will you be my friend through all this?"
I was shocked. Yes, because she was asking me to be her friend, but mainly because she was asking me. "Meritaten, do not be ridiculous! Of course I will be there for you, but you do not need to ask me! I am your sister, I would be there for you without you even mentioning it."
"I am sorry... I guess... We have not spoken much in these past few years, and I wanted to change that. I wanted to make sure you were fine with it," she explained.
"Of course I am fine with it. Whenever you need me, let me know," I said with a smile. Meritaten beamed.
Smenkhkre cleared his throat. "Ankhesenpaaten, have you finished?"
"Yes, Smenkhkre."
"Then you may go now. You and your other siblings have lessons today, and afterwards we may go to the temple. I wish for things to remain the same as they used to be."
I nodded, and exited the room without a further word.
Our regular teacher, Ahmose, was not there when I arrived. Instead, another one of our tutors - The Royal Scribe, Menna - was present.
He was much more 'proper' than Ahmose - he called us by our titles, and did not muck around and tease us like Ahmose did. He was very professional.
He bowed when I walked in. "Princess Ankhesenpaaten, how nice of you to join us. Please take a seat next to Princess Neferneferure and the Heir, Prince Tutankhaten."
I did as he asked without question. Neferneferure leaned over.
"Where were you yesterday?" she whispered.
"Sleeping," I replied.
"Excuse me! You both are aware of the rules, I presume. Do not abuse them. Now, today we will be learning about hieroglyphics and language. You all can write, yes?"
"Yes," we chorused.
"Good. But, can you translate to different languages? Greek? No? Well, this is your new assignment. We are all going to learn Greek - it will be important if any of you travel in your future. Greece is a close friend of Egypt; we trade with them all the time. It is good to learn the language of our friends. Prince Tutankhaten, Princess Neferneferure and Princess Neferneferuaten Tarsherit, you three will be translating a small paragraph that I assign to you. Princess Ankhesenpaaten, as you are much older and expected to know more, you will be translating a letter that Ay has sent to the Greek King. He will choose it. It may have trade details, updates on the country - anything that is of relevance. He is writing it in Greek and you will translate in into Egyptian. Understand?"
My siblings nodded. I, however, was not satisfied.
"Translate an entire letter that Ay wrote? I do not even know the language! I cannot speak it, cannot write it. How am I supposed to translate an entire letter?"
Menna remained calm. "You will be taught Greek before your assignment is due. Which is by the end of the year."
I could not believe my ears. "That is in two months! Barely a week after father's funeral will take place! How are we meant to learn Greek that well in two months?"
"Then you will need to be here all day, every day."
"What? What if I need to do something? What is the Queen has requested my presence? What if there is a festival? That is absolutely absurd! There is no way that it is possible!"
I stormed out in a huff. I know it may have seemed childish, but as I stated before, Menna was not like Ahmose. Ahmose would set reasonable dates, and if I did not get my assignments in on time, he would not be worried. Menna, however, was absolutely the opposite. If I handed in my assignment late, even a day late, he would kick up such a fuss - tell mother I refused to learn, who would then punish me, and he would assign me with even more work. Time and time again. I had, quite frankly, had enough.
I decided to quickly visit Huy and Kahmose. I had not seen them since father's death, and I wanted to see them more often. As I shut the gate behind me, I could instantly tell something was wrong. The small dirt track that had been made by carts was beginning to grow grass over the top, and disappear. It had not been used for some time. The city was quite - far too quiet. As I entered the city, I noticed that nobody was out. Where were all the markets? The people trading? What was going on?
I slowly walked to Huy's house. The door was locked shut. I knocked repeatedly, but no-one would answer.
"Huy?" I yelled. "Kahmose? It is me, Ankhesenpaaten! Are you there?"
The door swung open. Huy was there, as white as a sheet from the palace. "Princess," she said. "It is not safe for you in the city. You must return to the palace, quick!"
"What?" I asked, confused. "What is going on?"
Huy looked around, then snatched my wrist and dragged me inside, slamming the door shut and locking it again.
"Huy!" I demanded. "Tell me what has happened. Where is everyone?"
"The plague," she said simply. "The plague has arrived. It kills people within a day. It is not safe for anyone, especially you, to be walking around the city. Kahmose is already ill."
"What?" I exclaimed, and pushed past her to get to where he was. She put out her arm to stop me.
"Ankhesenpaaten! The plague is dreadfully contagious. If you go in there, you will be at risk of dying. I can't allow this. You're gonna be Queen one day! Please don't risk yourself now," she begged.
"No. Kahmose is my friend, I must see him. I would do the same with you. I do not care if I am risking my life. I will be fine, just let me see him."
Huy hesitated, and the moved her arm, and followed me inside. I gasped as I saw Kahmose lying feebly on his bed, with people surrounding him, trying to help. It reminded me disturbingly of how father looked moments before he died. I had to choke back a wave of nausea.
"Kahmose!" I cried. His eyes flew open.
"Wh - what are you doing here?"
"I did not know you were ill....I came here to visit you and Huy, but...Huy told me you were sick. Please do not die, Kahmose."
He laughed weakly. "I won't die. Just a bit delayed."
I turned to Huy. "Bring him to the palace. I can get our best physicians to heal him. They are the best in the world. He will not survive here - it is too unsanitary. Hurry, we must bring him to the palace quickly!"
"But Ankhesenpaaten...he can't move. How are we gonna get him there?"
"Get someone to carry him! Or I can run back, get some solders and they'll bring him to the palace for us!" I exclaimed.
"No, no, that's too much trouble. He'll be fine here."
"No, he will not. He must come to the palace. I will carry him on my own if I must," I insisted.
Huy and I ended up half-carrying him to the palace gardens.
"Wait here," I told Huy as I ran inside to get help.
I ran through the palace, looking for the one person who I knew would help me. I found him in the Smenkhkre's and Meritaten's private entertainment room.
"Sete," I panted. "I need your help. Follow me. Hurry!"
Meritaten and Smenkhkre stared after me as I ran back to the gardens, confused. No doubt they would follow and see what was going on.
As I ran, I told Sete exactly what was going on. "The plague?" he exclaimed. "Are you insane? If they are here, they put everyone else at risk. We will have to put him and his sister and you under quarantine."
I nodded eagerly. "As long as they get better."
When we arrived, Huy was having difficulties holding her brother up. I ran to her aid. "Did anything happen while I was gone?" I asked as Sete picked up Kahmose. We followed him to one of the guest rooms far away from any of my families' bedchambers.
"He opened his eyes, and when he saw where we were, he asked if we were in the afterlife. I said no, we are at the palace, and he said, so we are in the afterlife. Then he passed out again," Huy replied.
Sete approached me. "Ankhesenpaaten, since you were out in the city and were carrying the sick boy, you have to be placed under quarantine as well," he explained. "The same goes for your friend here. Her bedchamber will be next to Kahmose's, and yours next to hers. You will both be free to go when the physicians are absolutely certain you both have no traces of the disease."
I nodded. Huy smiled shyly. "I am not used to this much attention!" she whispered as we watched the physicians checking over Kahmose.
I giggled. "Well, as long as you are here, I will make sure you and Kahmose are treated the exact same way as me. I believe all our bedchambers are have conjoining door, so we can spend even more time together!"
Huy grinned. Ay approached me. Huy obviously knew who he was, for she gasped when she saw him and bowed, low and deep. Ay ignored her, which I thought rather rude.
"Princess Ankhesenpaaten," he spat. "Your brother and sister wish to see you outside, now."
I smiled apologetically to Huy. I began walking to the door, but then stopped. "Before I do, Ay, I just want it to be made clear that while they are in the palace, my friends Kahmose and Huy are eligible to anything that I would be. Treat them as though they are my siblings."
"That is not your decision to make. You are not the Pharaoh."
"No, but last I checked I was the Princess, and I am going to be married to the heir, which will make me Queen one day. I am still a very important person in this country, more important than you, and they are my guests - my friends. See to it that Kahmose and Huy are eligible to anything that I am, while they are in the palace. If I find out that you have ignored me, I would not want to be you." I resumed walking to see Smenkhkre and Meritaten. I acted calm, but my heart was beating far too fast. I was doomed.
I smiled politely as I shut the door behind me. "Yes, Your Majesties?"
Smenkhkre was steaming. "How dare you let in two commoners in the palace who have the dreaded plague? You have put everyone here at risk of dying! I can have you tried for treason, you know!"
"They are my friends! What was I supposed to do, let him die? We can save him! Surely if I was presented with an opportunity to save my friend, I would take it?"
"They are not your friends! You are a Princess of Egypt! They are peasants! Low-life peasants! You should let them die!"
Meritaten frowned. "Dear, this time I agree with Ankhesenpaaten. If they are her friends, it is not right for her to see someone else die, and so soon after the death of father. She must help them."
"ENOUGH!" Smenkhkre shouted. "I am the Pharaoh! My word is law! They cannot stay in the palace any longer! They must leave and return to the streets this instant!"
I winced. "But they cannot. For if they are forced to leave now, they just walk through the palace halls. He could put even more people at danger."
Smenkhkre was silent. He knew I was right. "Fine," he grumbled. "They may stay here until they are completely cured and the disease is eliminated. You too. I know Sete has already allocated you rooms. You will be staying in yours for two months. If you friends are not cured by that time, too bad. You will still be removed and not permitted to see them again. And when they do leave, you will be punished. Severely." Smenkhkre stormed out of the hall, just as mother was coming.
"What in the name of Aten is going on?" she cried.
"Ankhesenpaaten was trying to help a friend," Meritaten mumbled. "I will try to calm down Smenkhkre. Maybe he will not have you punished. Or he will reduce your punishment."
"What is my punishment?" I asked. Meritaten did not reply, and nor did mother. They both knew, I could tell. But they would not say. I decided to let it drop.
"Ankhesenpaaten," mother said gently. "I know you just wanted to help the poor soul. But sometimes, helping someone may actually make things worse. I know it is a hard concept to grasp, but just try to understand. This is a perfect example. Your friend is sick. Yes, if you did not help he would have died. But that is just one person. You bought him into the palace, past so many important people. Now we are all at risk of contracting the sickness. That means the death toll has risen to, say, thirty. Now, what would you rather - the death of one individual, or thirty innocents?"
I did not reply. Only because mother would not like my answer. Everyone acted like I had done the wrong thing. But I could be saving someone's life. And who is to say that anyone else will actually get infected?
I had done the right thing...hadn't I?