01

Adrenaline pumped through Loxy as she sprinted down the long corridors, refusing to glance over her shoulder. The thundering roar of footsteps became louder behind her, telling her that the guards were gaining on her.

"Don't lose sight of her! We can't let her get on that dropship! Orders from Doctor Griffin," one of the guards hollered to his comrades.

Loxy scoffed, ignoring the burning sensation in her legs. "I'm not letting you guys have it that easy!" She shouted back to them, pushing herself to go faster down the winding hallways of the Sky Box.

Blinded by panic, Loxy didn't see the arm reaching out for her at one the turns in the hall. She yelped as a large hand grabbed onto her forearm and pulled her behind the corner, the other slapping over her mouth.

Her eyes instantly met another pair of brown, and realized that a guard was holding her hostage. His finger was placed over his lips, and the two watched the crowd of guards race right past them.

Loxy wrenched away from him the moment they were gone, shooting daggers at him. "Who the hell are you? I could've managed on my own." She snarled at the guard, her eyebrows knitting together in confusion. "Why would you help me anyways?"

A boyish grin appeared on his face, and he ran a hand through his dark hair that was pulled back. "I'm not a guard. And just like you, I'm trying to get on the drop ship before time runs out." He explained, drawing himself to his full height.

"How do you know I want to get on the drop ship?" Loxy further pressed him, pursing her lips together in annoyance.

"Let's see. You're a prisoner, you don't have a wristband, and you're running in the direction where the dropship is." The boy replied with a hint of sarcasm.

"Okay, yeah. I'm trying to get on the drop ship. And I don't need your help for that." She growled, turning on her heel to start walking away. However, the imposter guard grabbed her again and pulled her close to him.

"No. I'm sure you've got it all handled," he said tauntingly. "But you can help me." Without any further explanation, he tightened his grasp around her elbow and began dragging her down to the end of the Sky Box.

"Hey! Let go of me!" She demanded, struggling against the firm hold of him.

"Good job," he mumbled, leaning close to her ear. "Keep it up."

Puzzled by his words, Loxy eased a bit when she realized he was taking her in the direction of the drop ship. "Well as we take this fabulous and pleasant walk, we might as well get to know each other. What's your name?"

"Bellamy. Remember it because if this all goes to plan we'll be seeing each other again." He said under his breath, keeping his head low as they entered the clearing.

Loxy let out a short gasp as she surveyed her surroundings. Several prisoners were lined up outside the drop ship, waiting to get on.

"This way," Bellamy urged her forward as he veered them towards an open doorway. "And we're golden," he announced as they stepped onto the drop ship.

Immediately Loxy pried away from Bellamy's grip, glowering at him. "Hope I was good service to you," she hissed, still not trusting him.

"You could at least tell me your name," Bellamy called as she began walking around to find a seat.

"It's Loxy." She responded without even turning back to face him. Plopping down on the first seat she could find, Loxy realized most of the prisoners were passed out. The guards must have injected the ones who fought against them.