Don't Let Me Drown

That lunch all eyes were on me. A couple times I had to skirt away from certain dangerous looking individuals to avoid fist-to-face contact. As I scoured the halls for Kai I was let down; there was no sign of him. Did he even come to school today? I really wanted him to see me, to notice me, to be so surprised by my appearance so that he wouldn't be able to speak and would just wrap me in his arms and hug me, saying that he was sorry he put me though all of this, that he loved me and just wanted us to be together again. But of coarse, my wishful thinking was a little too wishful.

"Are you a tranny now too, fag?" A wicked voice spat at me as I walked through the school. I turned my head around to see the owner of the deep voice. Blood washed out of my face in an instant and soon my quivering had started up again as I looked into the devilish eyes of Sean. I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat and started to back away but Sean took a large step and in a second was right next to me, leaning closer to my vulnerable chest.

"Oh, and look at this hair..." He said in a sly voice as his face bent closer to my head, whispering in my ear, "Too bad you're boyfriend won't be able to see it." My heart seemed to stop and my first instinct was to bolt, but I was stuck, frozen with fear.

"W...What?" I stammered. My brain was fuzzy and I couldn't fathom why onlookers in the halls weren't saying anything. Sean was right in my face, an invasive, intimidating stance. 

"Oh, I took care of 'im..." All the thoughts in my mind halted. What did he say? Did he just say he took care of Kai? I whipped my head away from him to see the side of the hallway, there were two large football players standing a few feet away, ready to grab me if I ran. I looked back at Sean's menacing grin and spat in his face. "Wha- What the fuck!?" He said as his hands moved up to his face to wipe away my saliva. The two boys on the side were confused and flustered, unsure if they should move or not so I made for it. I bolted down the hallway, past the dumbfounded imbeciles and out of the corridor that led to the courtyard. I busted through, leaving the doors swinging in my wake, as I yelled out Kai's name.

"Kai?! Kai?!" I screamed as I ran across the lunch yard, not seeing his soft brown hair. All eyes turned to me as I searched frantically for him, worried that Sean had done something to him, If he hurt him or laid a single finger on him I would kill that boy.

"Jasper?" I turned to see Ally looking at me with wide eyes. Her forehead was creased with worry as she saw me in such a panicked state. 

"What's wrong? Woah, calm down!" Ally's slender arms came down around me, holding my shaking shoulders as I stood there hyperventilating. I was gasping for air, my chest heaving and breaking at the same time.

"He.. He..." I tried to get words out but I was too scared, I needed to make sure nothing happened to Kai.

"Who, Jasper?" She said calmly, looking into my darting blue eyes. 

"He... He might... might be hurt. I... I think that Sean... Got him." I panted out though raspy breaths. 

Ally took an intake of breath as she processed my words. A serious look plastered on her makeup covered face as she took me by the arm harshly. She dragged me over to the school doors and shoved them open with a force I didn't know she was capable of.

"I haven't seen him today, have you?" She said in an even tone.

"No." I whimpered as we stalked through the halls.

"Where would he be?" She said to herself as she pulled me with her, her strength was alarming. We turned another corner and at the end of the hall stood the brute that caused this mess; Sean.

"Sean you little fucker!" Ally screamed down the school, her body was radiating rage and her voice shook with fiery anger. Sean's head whipped around to see the she-devil in full activation, marching towards his completely confused frame.

As she got closer, Ally let go of my arm and took the last few steps, bringing her arm all the was back, and cracking it over Sean's unexpected skin. I could hear the sting of flesh hitting flesh, a whacking sound that rung out through the desolate hallway. His eyes widened and anger mixed with surprise seemed to bubble up within him.

"What the Hell Bitch!" He said standing up taller, showing his overt masculinity. 

"Where is he?" Ally said physically steaming. 

"Who?" He replied with a smug sneer.

"You know who." 

Sean looked over at me and winked, creating a whirlpool of hate in my gut. I looked away, not trusting myself keep from bursting out in tears. 

"Why not let the little one talk?" Sean cackled, crossing his thick arms around his brutish body. I looked up at him, a tear in my eye and thought of Kai. Kai would have stood up for me, he would have thrown himself at this guy if the situation were in reverse, but all I could to was not fall apart. I was pathetic.

No. I am not weak, I am not pathetic, I am not a coward. I looked Sean in the eyes and spoke in a deathly clam voice.

"Did you touch him?"

Sean's smile widened and he started me down, his devil eyes pressing into my soul with a knife, teasing me, torturing me as I watched.

"Maybe." At that something within me snapped and I gathered all the strength I had within my tiny body and rammed my elbow into his stomach. I hear a small gasp from Ally as she witnessed my aggression, but I wasn't done.

I slammed my fist into his throat causing him to gag and choke, his arms snapping to his trachea, gasping for air. I brought my hand back and again threw my fist against his nose as hard as I could, I heard a crack and and earsplitting cry escaped Sean's battered throat. The fire in his eyes was reduced to smothering smoke, as I took hold of his shirt. I brought the surprised boy closer to my face and spat in his wide eyes for the second time that day.

"Did you touch him?" I managed to grunt though panting breaths into his filthy face. For the first time Sean actually looked a little scared, but as he regained control, his smile slithered back onto his face, and his arms yanked mine off of him. He pushed my chest away, forcing me against the lockers and I heard Ally gasp again. 

"What's it to you?" He teased as he stepped closer towards me, blocking any exit. 

"Stop this! Sean, just fucking stop this game you're playing! It's getting old!" Ally shouted, I felt her thin arms grab onto one of mine, and try tugging me from out of Sean's reach, but he just slapped her away. I heard a thud as Ally fell to the floor.

"But I was just getting started." He faked a whine, and looked over at her as she picked herself up off of the floor.

"What the Hell is wrong with you, you sicko!" She screamed. Sean just laughed and turned his head towards me again. I looked into his eyes and all my fear washed away. I needed to make sure Kai wasn't hurt, and dealing with this guy wasn't getting me anywhere.

"Ally, go find him, please." I said still staring into the eyes of a demon.

"But-"

"Go." I said fiercely, making the word pierce the air; I heard her hard steps run down the hallway. Good, I thought to myself, at least this way he's not hurting Kai. I stood still staring into Sean's slick black eyes as the first blow his the bottom of me cheek, splitting the skin with a vicious crack.