Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

Without explanation Nathaniel started pulling out thick mats that he placed on the floor off to one side of the big room. I tried to help him but the things were so big and heavy that I had trouble even carrying one side of the thing...

Nathaniel lifted them as if they weighted absolutely nothing. Show off.

When he was satisfied there was a big enough space cushioned with the mats he waved me closer. 'We'll start out with the basic self-defense first.'

After that he proceeded showing me several moves. How to block, fall, dodge and how to escape holds. Then he showed me some moves that I could use if escaping wasn't an option, he made me promise to always try and run first though.

I wondered at the fact that he showed me how to hit people in the eye up close, with my fingers, not fist so I could inflict the most damage. It seemed like a low move to me... But when I asked he explained.

'You are weak Amelia, an easy target for every supernatural creature out there. Fighting fair will only get you killed and that's exactly what we're trying to prevent. Hit them where it hurts most, the eye, groin... I don't care as long as it means you get an opening to run. Got it?'

Well... Yeah I got the point but did he really have to point out that I was weak? It wasn't very nice to say that! Even though it was true.

He made me go through the motions he taught me for hours it seemed, until I was sure I could even perform them in my sleep. My muscles were so sore and I felt like jelly... But he still didn't relent.

God he could be a taskmaster in the army, the way he worked me! He used a stern crisp voice whenever he explained something and urged me through the exercise. But he was right there beside me the whole time, working out himself.

When I felt like I couldn't keep going any longer he used softer tones and urged me on with sweet words and promises. I was so going to keep him to that offer of a massage tonight.

At last he told me we would spar against each other. To test if I was able to utilize the moves he taught me in combat.

'But... you're saying you want me to hit you? I can't do that!' I protested, standing in the middle of the mats on shaky legs. 'I don't want to hurt you!'

He tossed his head back at that and laughed, the sound low and earthy and enough to snap my body into attention again. 'You can't hurt me a ghrá mo chroí,' he said arrogantly. A smirk adorning his features now that told me he very much believed that.

'Fine,' I huffed, just to prove him wrong.

He stood across from me, wearing loose pants low on his hips and a snug black shirt that did nothing to hide the muscles on his chest. His feet were bare and he stood lightly, resting his weight mostly on the balls of his feet.

His posture was very lethal and intimidating and graceful at the same time. Maybe he was right about the not hurting him part... As we started circling slowly his movements were so incredibly fluid and elegant that I knew he would be too fast for me to ever hit him.

When he charged at me he moved so fast that I could hardly see him, then he had me tightly in arms. Crushing me to his chest. 'Too slow a rún.'

He let go and circled back to resume our earlier dance with a grin on his face. He was enjoying this entirely too much!

The second time he rushed me I was a little more prepared, dodging to the side to avoid his grabbing hands. He twisted so fast though that my freedom lasted hardly more than a second.

'Still too slow...'

Having overcome my initial surprise I nodded at him, 'Again, this time I'm ready!'