Chapter 23 ~Decisive Battle~

Start from the beginning

"Your signature stare-down, huh? When we first fought, you said you wanted beat me so that you can let Reiji win, right?"

"Yes... and that hasn't changed."

"For Reiji and I, if we lose, it's over. Let's make sure we don't' leave any unfinished business."

"I don't need you to tell me that. This will be settled once and for all."

~~

"To send salt to one's enemy... To send aid to your opponent when the opponent is in trouble, so that you can fight them fair and square."

"So you finally looked it up, huh? You look all cleared up."

"I'll face you head-on, do my best, and return your favor."

"Good, that's what the salt was for!"

~~

"Hey, let's make this good."

"Yes, sir."

"Fujiwara, the look in your eyes is a little different. Now show me the rest of how you feel with the way you run."

"Yes."

"Don't you dare chicken out."

"Same goes to you."

~~

You and Ayumu looked as the runners took their positions, smile stitched on your face.

"Kadowaki-san, this is bad. I want both teams to win. I can't choose."

Ayumu smiled, "Same for me. But there won't be a result like that. This summer is the third years last summer. They won't let this chance slip by."

"Yeah," you looked closely at the big screen in front of the audience, both you and Ayumu unconsciously leaned when Bantaro and Hozumi fall into their own starting positions. "Let's hope for the best."

Set

3...

2...

1...

GO!!

The audience voice echoed, pumping the runners adrenaline. The first two runners were Bantaro and Hozumi, both using ability to the fullest, can be seen how the two of them make their own route. Despite the difficulty the made by themselves, smile can't be help but appear on their faces.

"Have fun,"

Shizuma once said back then. And you were pretty sure he also said that this time.

Bantaro led, followed by Hozumi just right behind him. He clapped his hands with Kaede, and immediately collapse, breath still heavy.

Hozumi jumped from his position, he landed in front of Kuga, but clapped their hands before his feet touching the ground.

Completing their mission to pass the baton the next runner, they both lay down on the ground. A "Nice fight," exchanged as they slap hands.

The next runners were Kaede and Kuga, a fight between a fan and his admired person.

Kaede looked troubled a bit, probably thinking that he has to maintain Bantaro's lead. And because of that, his concentration was split into two.

Kuga passed him, using a high road to jump and landed in front of your childhood friend. You shuddered. Kaede's eyes right now were the eyes you've never seen before from him. Full of 'I don't want to lose. Not to this person' kind of feeling.