26: "Please. I miss you."

Jacob

"What?"

Was the first word to roll off tongue. I was trying to wrap my head around what just came out of her mouth.

I think we should spend some time apart...

I tried to stay calm, controlling my breathing as I watched her eyes slowly look away from mine.

A part of me was breaking, all I want is to be with her every second of my life, and she wants the complete opposite.

"Don't take it the wrong way Jake. I'm not breaking up with you, or saying that I don't love you anymore. I just feel like, we're always together. And maybe some time apart could really help us get back into it, and maybe make things better."

I couldn't find the right words to say, I just watched as she constantly looked back and forth between me and the floor.

"We've been through a lot in the past month, and I really feel like it's taking it's toll on us."

I wanted to protest her decision, but in a way she was right.

Everything that had happened with her had come back to bother me. And I didn't want us fighting, last night was a mistake, I never meant to say any of those things to her.

I was just upset.

But I didn't want a break either, I love her.

"Okay, how about this." She said, moving in closer. "Let's take week to just spend some time apart, and see how it goes. You know, catch up on things. Like you and your duty to your pack, and I kind of want to spend some time with my mom."

I reached for her hands, she made it sound better. Maybe it could work, I was falling behind as an alpha, and it would be nice to spend some time with dad.

"Okay, we can do that."

She smiled, leaning in and wrapping her arms around my neck.

_____

Nova.

I opened the front door, going straight to my room and reaching for the picture.

I wanted to know who the guy in the picture with mom was, I was curious. She'd never told me of this guy.

I quietly walked into the kitchen, the photo in my hands behind my back.

"Hey sweetie!" She greeted, only taking a second to glance up from her lap top.

"Okay, before you get angry at me. Let me apologize first," she instantly gave me all her attention. "I didn't mean to look through your stuff, I just got curious. So please don't be mad at me. But who is this guy?"

I showed her the photo, she had a look of disbelief on her face.

"Nova, you're old enough not to be going through my things." She hissed, ripping the photo from my fingertips.

"I'm sorry, I just saw the box in your closet and went through it. I'm sorry." I apologized for the second time.

She sighed, looking down at the photo.

There was an awkward silence in the room before she spoke up.

"His name is Daniel, he lived on the reservation when I visited for the Summer growing up. He lived down the road from my grandpa."

I waited for her to continue, quietly standing in the middle of the kitchen. My mother starring at the picture in her hands, there was a look in her eyes that said it all. She loved him, her eyes tracing every inch of that photograph.