Chapter 13: Say Something

Alex

"And this book is my favourite." Liem slipped out a paperback book from the shelf. "One sad but truly romantic story."

I glance at the blue cover and scrunched my nose in distaste, "The Fault in our Stars?"

He nodded his head, "Yes. A girl who has cancer, a guy who has cancer. Both find love in each other. I like it!" He placed the book back onto the shelf, "I enjoy reading John Green books. He tells a story really well," Liem stated while skimming through the other books on the shelves. "Oh lets not forget about him," He pulls out The Vow by Nicholas Sparks, "Oh how I would love for my partner to forget who I am and be determine to make her fall in love with me all over again!"

"You're kidding? Right?" I asked, wanting to know the answer.

He scoffed, "Of course not! I read his books to find love somewhere in my cold heart." He replied with a serious tone.

I rolled my eyes and let out a chuckle, "Okayy, lets go get some coffee."

Knowing Liem for a few months I found myself talking to him more, going out with him a lot. By getting to know him I unleash his addiction to coffee and his way of knowing every cafe we go to. "This cafe has the best chocolate chip cookies!" He states,

"And their coffee?" I asked.

We both wait in line. Liem glances over and smiles, "I only take you to the best coffee shops around Alex." He brought his attention to the cashier and ordered our drinks and two chocolate chip cookies. I didn't have to tell Liem what my order was anymore, one day Liem and I went to the coffee shop close to our campus and began ordering my coffee order. I realize a moment after that I never told him. I asked him how he remember my order so quickly, he replied with, "I can remember any coffee order the first time I hear it.  But don't ask me to repeat what our professor said a few minutes ago!"

We grabbed our coffee's and walked out of the cafe. "I know a park two blocks down," He said. We walked down a path way to a park where citizens were relaxing and enjoying a day at the park. Bright orange tree's surrounded the park, a playground stranded in the middle with sand surrounding it. Mothers strolling along with their children, people walking their dog, and a man roller-skating gracefully down the pavement.

Liem and I step onto the pavement and begin walking around the playground, "Hows everything at home?" He asked calmly.

I let out a chuckle, "Well.. We went over to both Andrew and I parents house. Things got out of hand.."

I began to tell Liem how  Leah announce she was pregnant to everyone, and explaining everyones reaction. Liem was quiet for a moment until he release out, "Wow.. That must of been a eventful weekend."

"Yep," I let out, "I just wished she told me first before walking into the fire." I added.

"My sister did the same thing." Liem said.

"How did you parents react?"

Liem let out a shaky laugh, "Both my sister and I are a year apart. We should of been twins the way we acted as children. It was my seventeenth birthday when my sister was caught throwing up in the bathroom... It was her third time rushing to the bathroom now that I remember it. My family and I didn't know what was wrong, until we realize she couldn't stand smell of moms lasagna. That's when she admit she was pregnant. At the age of 16."

I rose my hand over my mouth, with holding my gasp, "She was only 16?!"

"Yep!" Liem said, "I didn't know what to do or say. I was the only one she was able to talk to about important or personal things. That day I felt like I didn't know her."

A garbage bin appeared beside us and Liem threw his empty cup in the bin. "Until I pulled her aside while our parents were arguing about who fault it was. I didn't say a word. I just hold on to her and kept on repeating "it will be okay," numerous times. Until she stopped crying."

We began to walk over to a empty bench. "Lets sit here," Liem suggested. We both sat down and  watched the sun begin to set. Having a tan glow appear on our faces. "Please don't be to upset with Leah. She needs someone right now, other than her boyfriend. She needs a friend, a shoulder to cry on." he added.

  The conversation began to take a turn and the game twenty-one questions came about. I asked simple questions while Liem asked question I didn't think about. Such as; "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?"

I took a moment to answer, "Well.. I always enjoyed the thought of traveling.. Maybe in ten years I could be traveling?"

Then came the subject about where we wanted to travel to in our life time.

I scrunched my nose at the places Liem listed, "You want to go to Antartica? What can you do there?"

Liem shrugged his shoulders and smiled, "I'm not sure. I want to experience the coldest location to the hottest location and document it. If I'm a journalist or not. I would like to go there."

I stared at the side view of Liem. Taking in all of his features. His slender cheek bones, his tamed bushy eyes brows, to his rosy red lips. He turned his head towards me. I hurriedly looked down at my empty coffee cup. I slowly brought my attention back to Liem. His eyes showed a intense  hungry look. He began to bring himself closer, beginning to close in the space in between us. He lean in close, I can feel his breath lingering on my lips. My mind was spinning, not knowing what to do. Are we going to kiss? Should I back away?

"I really like you Alex," He whispered, "Ever since the first day I met you I thought you were beautiful."

He-he likes me?!

"Please say something," Liem whispered softly.

*****

How do you feel about Liem? Team Liem or still Team Andrew? Let me know in the comments!

Have a wonderful week!

Cece :)