Chapter 12: Forgiveness

Alex

It was bright and early when we left Andrew's house. We said good bye to his parents and we were off down the road back to our townhouse. Everyone was quiet in the car. No tunes were playing through the stereo. Both Andre and Leah kept to themselves in the back of the car. Leah begged Andre to sit in the back with her, not giving me a glance or acknowledging my presence. I kept to myself and sat down in the passenger seat  beside Andrew. Andrew stayed to himself of course, sending glances my way.

Am I alright?

Well I just found out my best friend is pregnant and has not spoke to me about it. Plus before she was always out with her theatre friends working on the theatre production at our school. I stared out the window and notice we were merging off the highway, just five minutes away from home.

After a few minutes we reached our destination; home. Everyone gotten out and made our way to the door. We walked inside and I just felt out of place. Everything was the same. Same vase, same furniture, everything was left the same, but somehow I feel I walked into the wrong house.

"Hey did you guys want to order Chinese?" Andre asked all of us. Everyone seem to be in their own little world but we manage to nod our heads in response.

Andrew strolled over to the cupboard and took out a glass quietly, not wanting to disturb the silence that was occurring the house. "Anybody wants water?"

"I'll take a glass," Leah spoke, "Not to much though,"

   Andrew nodded his head while focusing on pouring the water into two glasses. The water was rising each second, almost at the brim line, I spoke "Why couldn't you tell me."

Leah bowed her head, having her hair covering most of her face.

"Leah answer me." I demanded.

Andre came close to Leah and began rubbing her back, "Alex maybe now is not the right time to talk about this. She's tired and--"

"Andre stop it! I saw your face at the table I bet 99% chance you're upset as well," I barked.

Andre dropped his hands from Leah back and sat down at the dinning table. "I had an idea. She was vomiting and being a moody I just thought her time of the month was coming around. I didn't think I was so--"

"Clumsy?" I interrupted, "Forgetful? Andre you're smarter than this! Leah is in college and for you to mess it up, hurts a lot of people."

"It was my fault!" Leah yelled, her face was red and blocky, tears were falling one by one down her cheeks. Her face shown the expression of hurt and ashamed. "I kept forgettingto take the pill and knew what I was getting into. I just thought my lucky stars that I was the odd percent who didn't get pregnant!"

Leah began to bawl in her seat. Her hands getting wet from her tears. Andre gotten up and helped Leah out of the kitchen up towards her room. I couldn't look at her at the moment. "My best friend pregnant and she didn't have the guts to tell me," I said out loud.

"Well maybe it's because how you would react!" Andrew respond then took a gulp of water.

"Have you ever gotten someone pregnant?" I asked Andrew, "Like if you did what would you do? Or even say to them?"

Andrew place his cup down slowly, "I wouldn't know what to do. I always came with protection. The girls I slept with were also protected. I always had girls who would accuse me but would deny going to the doctors." Andrew looked down at his water focusing on the still water. "I'm not sure if our house is big enough for a kid."

I sat down on one of the island tables and place my head into my arms, "I don't think so either. Unless we move them down stairs and have you come up stairs? Thats the only solution."

"You guys don't have to think about that all now," Andre said behind us.

I turned around and saw Andre standing at the entrance of the kitchen, looking all tired and weak. He looks like he hasn't slept in days. "When was the last time you slept?" I blurted out.

He cracked open a slight smile, "Three days ago?" He respond, "It hit me a couple a days ago that she was most likely pregnant. I couldn't sleep I was just thinking how I would tell my parents, how would she tell her parents? How could I afford to take care of a child if I can't take care of myself.." He sat down on one of the island stools and sip Leah left over water. "I know deep down she is going to want to keep the baby and I will support her one hundred percent. But I would much rather for both of our sakes is to have the baby go up for adoption.

We both have part timers scholarships. She would have to drop out of school and who knows if she'll ever go back. Plus if her parents would be funding her from this point on.

My parents will probably have us get married." Andre began rubbing the side of his temples while keeping his eyes closed.

I looked over at Andrew and Andrew looked over at me. We may have been staring at each for a few seconds but our eyes were saying much more. "I'll go talk to her," I let out. I pushed out my chair and made my way up the stairs to Leah room.

I knocked on the door twice until I heard a "Come in!". I opened the door and saw Leah on her bed cuddling a large white teddy bear Andre got for her. "I didn't think it was you at the door," She mumbled.

I sat down on the corner of the bed,  "Well I didn't think I was going to be the last one to hear about you being pregnant,"

"I'm sorry," Leah sat up and crossed her legs, "I became so busy that I kept forgetting to take the pill. So when the pregnancy test turn positive I was scared. I was so scared Alex.. I didn't know what to do!" Tears were welling up in Leah eyes ready to fall.

I brought Leah into a hug, "What ever you want to do I'm here. We can turn the basement into a  small apartment for you, Andre, and the baby. There is a small kitchen down there and stuff!"

Leah laughed into my shoulder, "Alex I am so sorry I didn't tell you right away. I was scared what everyone would think and I guess I should have told you first. You would have helped me tell my parents."

We pulled away from our hug, "Uh yeah! You think I would have let you tell them during a family dinner? Both Andrew and I looked like saints last night!"

Leah let out a small laugh, "Yeah you did start fighting but it didn't escalate. Your parents must be so proud of you."

I chuckled, "Yes they are,"

Oh Yes they are.