An Awkward Christmas Finale

Lapis' POV

     I was more nervous now than I had been in a long time, Peridot was about to open her Christmas gift from me. I was nervous she wouldn't like because she already has multiple hoodies, and I was afraid that she might already have the one I got her. Much like my gift box, the paper that I got was too thick to rip, so she had to unwrap it. Every piece of tape that was undone, the pit of anxiety got a little bit deeper. She slowly unraveled the paper, and then she started on the box. The anticipation was killing me at this point.

     At last the gift was unwrapped, and Peridot slowly lifted the lid of the box, revealing her green hoodie with an alien on the center. Peridot was silent, witch really scared me because she has always been so talkative. There was silence until a squeal could be heard escape Peridot's mouth. She lifted the hoodie from the box and hugged it as if it were a person.

     "I'm assuming that she likes it . ." I thought as Peridot thanked me profusely. I was happy to see that Peridot liked her gift, but I was still mad that Peridot had not told me were she has been going every morning. I dropped hints here and there, I was practically asking her to tell me, but she always just changed the subject. It's Christmas morning, I shouldn't be mad at my girlfriend. I'm sure that there's a completely rational explanation for where she's been going. I'm just going to ask where she's been sneaking off to and move on.

     "Hey Peridot, where have you been going ev-" I attempted to ask, but was cut off by a gift being shoved into my face. I decided it could wait until after I opened my gift. I began to unwrap my gift, and out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Peridot cowering into her hoodie, as if she was afraid to see what I would say about her gift. Honestly, I would have been happy if she had just said merry Christmas, and gave me a hug. I lifted the lid of the small box, and a loud gasp escaped my mouth.

     Inside the small box, was a locket, shaped like a heart. On one side was me, on the other, was my dad. He had died a long time ago. We were very close when he died. Not only was he my father, but he was my friend. That is what made this gift so special to me. This was probably the most thoughtful, and special gift I had ever received. Peridot's voice snaped me from my thoughts.

     "Sooo . . . are those happy tears, or sad tears." asked Peridot. The question confused me at first, until I felt the tears on my cheeks. I thought for a moment, then responded. "Happy, and sad tears, but more happy." I could tell my response confused her, because she just stayed silent. I could tell she felt uncomfortable, Anyone would be in this situation. I broke the ice, with a kiss. Peridot seemed surprised at first, but then followed suit.

     That's when the front door opened, and I heard my mother's voice. "SURPRIIIIIII-" I assume my mom was going to surprise us by coming back from her business trip on Christmas morning, but she walked in at the worst possible time. Peridot and I pulled apart, and stared at my mother, who was dead silent. Until my mom said, "Finally! It's about time you two kissed! I've been shipping you girls for months!"

     Of course, this caught me off guard, and by the looks of it, Peridot was surprised as well. I think I was more surprised than Peridot, especially because my mom was supposed to be clueless to the fact that I was gay! "Uh, Mom, can I speak to alone for a minute?" I asked. She responded with, "Sure honey!"

     My mom and I walked to the end of the hallway, and I spoke. "Sooo . . You knew I was a lesbian?" I asked. "Ya, I found out after you accidentally came out to me, because you accidentally sent a text to me instead of your friend. It was saying how you had a HUGE crush on this one girl. I can't remember the girl's name though." My mom responded. I didn't know whether to be embarrassed or relieved. I felt more relieved because she was o.k with it. At least Peridot and I don't need to be so secretive around the house about our relationship anymore . . .