Odyssey and Twilight

Author's Note: I own NONE of this. No copyright infringement is intended. I just wanted to borrow the characters and play with them.

Thank you to all of the people who have faved and/or commented on my story! It means more to me than you can imagine!

Chapter Seventy-Nine: Odyssey and Twilight

BPOV

We drove back to Chicago. It took forever. Traffic was a bitch. Edward was very quiet. His hand was laced with mine and his eyes were sad. However, he needed the time to process what happened today at the courthouse and at the cemetery. It pained me to see my confident, strong fiancé fall apart. He was my rock and he crumbled. I was so worried for his well-being. But, I knew that he needed to talk to his father. I pushed him to do it. Their conversation was heated, but I could see the sadness in his father's eyes when he approached me at the courthouse. Even though he went about it the wrong way, he needed to talk to his son. Edward needed to talk to his father. This needed to be done. Edward might have hated me for it, but they both needed closure.

"Thank you," Edward said quietly, his voice breaking. "For pushing me, Bella."

"You're welcome, Edward," I said as I caressed his cheek. "You needed to talk to him. I could see how it was weighing on your shoulders: the pain of being here and his constant intrusion in your life. What did he say?"

"He apologized," Edward said, his eyes filling with tears. "He said he did it out of love. He was not capable of caring for me after my mom's death. He said that he still loves me. He wants to try and rebuild some sort of relationship."

"And, what did you say?" I pressed.

"That I'd try. I don't know to what extent I'll be able to have a relationship with him, but I'm going to try. He's the last connection to her that I have," Edward sighed. "However, I wouldn't have done it without you, Bella. So, thank you. I can't express how much I appreciate what you've done for me."

"Edward, you have been my rock, my savior, this year. You are an amazing man. It was my turn to be your rock. Your support. Your savior," I said fervently. "I understand that this was not easy by any stretch of the imagination, but you did it. I'm proud of you and I love you."

"You are an angel, Bella. In my eyes, my mom picked you out, specifically for me, from heaven," Edward sighed. He looked at me and gave me my favorite crooked smirk. "I just hope she's not watching all the time, if you know what I mean."

"Me too, Edward. Talk about embarrassing," I giggled. "What else did your dad say?"

"He said he was sorry for hurting you," Edward mumbled. "I was ready to kill him, Bella. No one has any right to put their hands on you."

"Edward, he just startled me. He approached me in an uncomfortable way, but he just wanted to talk to you," I said.

"If he hurts you again, I will cause him bodily harm," Edward said, giving me a pointed glare.

"My hero," I swooned, fluttering my eyelashes.

"You bet your sweet ass, I'm your hero," Edward snorted. "I love you, Bella."

"As I love you, Edward," I smiled. "Are you ready to go on the boat?"

"The Odyssey? Not really. I know why you set up the whole thing. To keep me occupied, but I'm really not in the mood," Edward said as he shifted in his seat. "If we get back to the hotel in time. I forgot how bad Chicago traffic is. Jeez!"

"Tell me about it. We've been sitting here for like fifteen minutes," I grumbled.

"It should open up after we get past Austin. Another lane is added to the highway," Edward explained. "It's just one more exit."