Twelve

[I don't have school so updates ]

I somehow found myself wandering the woods all day.  Pete said wolves don't attack during the day so here I was.  I sat on the ground against a tree.  I was so tired.  Tired of bullshit.  And curses and sorceresses.  I heard the leaves rustle and I froze completely.  I looked up at the annoying human.

"Not now Mark" I mumbled "Go stalk someone else"

"Wheres your beast?" He asked.

"Who knows? We're not on decent terms at the moment" He sat down on a log "Can you go away?  Jesus christ"

"Hey, I'm in a public woods and I'm talking to a friend.  That's all" he said holding his hands up. 

"You're not my friend.  My friends are all back at that castle that you seem so damn keen on breaking apart" I said. 

"I deleted those pictures Patrick.  After you talked to me" He said "Now, you can either talk to me about what's going on and I can give you an outsiders advice, or you can go rant to one of your friends in there that'll probably just tell to stick around and wait for the outcome" I looked away from him stubbornly.  "Okay, fine" He got up but I grabbed his arm.

"Fine" I said.  He sat back down.  "He's not my beast anymore.  A sorceress put a curse on it and he had to fall in love with someone to break it.  And they had to fall back.  We fell in love.  But, now because he's pretty again, he's really vein and selfish and all about himself" I hugged my knees to my chest "He wasn't like that before"

"That's probably because he hated himself.  Imagine being trapped as an ugly monster for however long he was"

"Fifteen years" I said.

"Fifteen years.  Damn" he mumbled.  I smiled a little "Look, I've seen what he does for you.  How he protects you.  Hell, I've seen how he looks at you.  Something's there.  Something stronger than how pretty he is.  He's probably upset.  Probably even crying.  But, you never cry so I'm assuming you haven't been" I shrugged "Exactly" he continued "What I'm trying to say is, I wouldn't take this hit so personally.  He still loves you and he'd still take a bullet for you.  He's just enjoying what he lost so long ago.  The second you're upset or in danger he'll be who he was again.  Love is stronger than vanity" He smiled.

"You're the third person to say that to me" I said gently. 

"I read it somewhere" he said.

"Yeah, me too" I mumbled "Thank you Mark"

"You're welcome" he said.

"You're not such a douchebag you know?  When you're trying you're not" I lowered my head.

"That's my line of defense.  If you're a dick, people won't try to get too close.  Then, they can't hurt you" We smiled at each other. 

"Patrick?" I looked over at Pete.  He walked towards me.

"That him?" Mark asked.

"Yup" I said.  Pete paused next to me. 

"He is pretty" Mark said "I guess thats my cue.  Later Patrick" He stood up and walked down the woods. 

"Bye" I said.  Pete sat down next to me. 

"So you're talking to Mark?" he asked.

"Yes.  I was very upset and he was there" He put his hand over mine but I moved mine.  He gave me a hurt look.  A look that made me want to cry.  I haven't cried since my mom died.  "Don't do that to me" I whispered. 

"I love you" he said gently.  "And I get it if you wanna leave"

"I don't wanna leave" I said.  "I want my Pete back"

"I'm right here" he whispered. 

"You don't act like him" I said. 

"Are you crying?" he asked.  I wiped the tears off my cheeks "Fuck.  I made you cry" He pressed his hand against my cheek.  "Calm down" I sobbed and shook my head no.  Calm down?  Stop being an ass then.  "Aw baby" He hugged me tightly "I'm so sorry baby, I didn't wanna hurt you like this.  I'm such an idiot"

"You are a fucking idiot" I mumbled.

"I know.  But, I'm your idiot.  I'm your extremely sorry, idiot.  That has to count for something" I looked up at him. 

"It counts for everything" I said.  I hugged him tightly.  "I missed you"

"I missed you too baby" He whispered.  And we just sat there.  Holding each other.  It was nice.
-----
"Joe!" Andy yelled.  We all laughed "How many of these are you gonna buy!  I can't move a single space without having to pay you money!"

"I want them all!" Joe yelled.  I laughed again. 

"I hate monopoly!" Dan yelled. 

"It's Patricks turn" Joe said.  I rolled the dice and moved until I got to my space. "How come he gets all the community chests!?" Joe yelled. I picked up the card.

"Collect fifty dollars from each player" I said.

"Are you fucking serious!?" Phil yelled.  We all stared at him and started laughing "What!?"

"You cursed" Dan said.

"I need your money I need to be richer" I said.

"You haven't bought anything this whole game you just keep getting more money it's not fair!" Dan yelled. 

"Pay up" I said.  I held my hand out.  They all placed fifty monopoly dollars in my hand while Phil grumbled something about me rigging the game.  "How does one rig Monopoly?"

"I don't know" Phil said.  Pete looked over at us from his chair.

"I'm gonna go see my boyfriend I'll be right back" I mumbled to Joe.  He nodded while I walked over to Petes chair.  I sat on the arm of it.  "Come play" I said.

"Rather not" he said.  I sighed.  "I don't trust him Patrick.  My instincts are usually right too"

"Who?" I asked.

"Mark" he said.  I sighed loudly.  "Maybe I'm crazy.  Maybe even jealous.  I just don't trust him"

"Alright" I said getting off the chair.  He grabbed my hand before I could walk away. 

"Hey" he said gently "I'm sorry"

"Let's not talk about him anymore" I said.

"Deal" He kissed my hand and smiled.