Four

"Patrick" Joe said walking into my room "The masters in a mood.  We were wondering if you could get him out of it?  You seem to be good at that and you've only been here a week"
I'd been there for a week and found a friend in Pete that I'd never had before.  We spent every second together.

"In a mood?" I asked.  He nodded his little clock head.  "Okay" I closed the book. 

"That's not what I asked for!" Pete roared from downstairs.  I sighed loudly.  "Fix it!"

"His tempers insane" Joe said gently.

"So I see" I mumbled.  I got up following Joe out of the room.  We walked downstairs.

"Pete!" Phil yelled.  He scratched a painting on the wall angrily.  "Pete stop destroying everything!"

"Stop telling me what to do!" Pete yelled.  He tore things off the wall.  I ran and grabbed his arm.  He stared down at me like I was the deer and he was the rabid wolf.  "Patrick, get off" he snarled.  Everyone stared at me like I was insane for touching him.  He rammed his claws down my shoulder opening up the stitches from before and adding some new cuts.  I yelled out in pain trying to get away.  Blood soaked my shirt.  I stared up at him in pain.  He looked at me like he couldn't believe what he just did.

"Pete" Joe said.  He was gone before I could even say his name.  "Pete!" Joe yelled.  He sighed and ran up the stairs as fast as his little legs could take him. 

"Patrick" Phil said gently "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine" I whispered. 

"Philly, go try to get a rag.  We'll need Joe to stitch this up"

"I can do it" I said shakily.
-----
Everyone sat there helping me clean the wound. 

"Are you gonna leave us Patrick?" Phil asked.

"No.  I'm not gonna leave you guys.  I just wish he wouldn't be such a damn coward!" I yelled at the stairs.  Nothing. 

"Sorry Patrick" Joe said.

"What happened to you guys?  Tell me so I can understand" I said. 

"Pete pissed off an enchantress" Dan said "So she said if he can't find someone to fall in love with him then we're all stuck like this.  He used to he a handsome prince you know"

"What?" I whispered.  Everything pieced together in my head.  He was using me to get his old life back. 

"You're all stitched up" Joe said.

"Thank you" I mumbled.  I stood up and walked upstairs.  So everything we did was just some way to get me to fall for him.  I stared at the claw marks on his door.  I grabbed the handle without thinking and swung the door opened.  He stared at me.  A glare fit itself on his face.

"I told you not to come in here!" he yelled.

"I wanna go home" I said.  He froze.  "I wanna go back home"

"What?" he asked.

"You heard me.  I don't feel like getting my arm cut off whenever you're pissed.  And I don't feel like getting used so you can turn yourself back into a prince.  You're toying with my heart.  I don't want it"

"No I-"

"Save it" I snapped "You know I thought you were decent.  But, you really are a monster" I slammed the door shut when I walked out.
-----
I shoved things into a bag that I thought I'd need.  My bedroom door shut.  I looked over at Pete.

"I have to fall in love too" he said "It's not just a one way thing.  I have to fall for someone and they have to fall back"

"I don't-"

"Patrick, sit down and just let me talk okay?"  I nodded slowly.  I owed him that.  We sat on the edge of my bed.  "First let me say I haven't aged since I was transformed fifteen years ago.  And when I, if I get turned back.  I'll still be twenty five but I'll continue to age normally.  That part confuses people" I nodded.  He sighed "I was a spoiled bitch.  I knew I was pretty and used it to my advantage.  I played the wrong person.  The last thing she said to me was 'Now learn to be charming without your beauty beast' and she disappeared" I grabbed his hand.  He laced his fingers with mine "A magic mirror and a set of rules were in my room.  She took everything.  My kingdom.  My family left me.  My servants all turned into inanimate objects.  I had nothing"

"I'm sorry" I said gently. 

"Here" he handed me a small book "They're the rules.  I'm not using you Patrick.  It wasn't my intention.  I just, haven't ever met someone so much like me.  I'm sorry" He sighed "I'll take you home if that's what you wish" I skimmed through the rule book.  Basically it said if he couldn't fall for someone who fell for him he was screwed. 

"I'd like to go home and maybe get some clothes that aren't yours?  If that's alright.  You can take me"

"So you'll stay?" he asked.

"Yes" I mumbled "I'll stay"
-----
I had to stay by his side in case of a wolf attack.

"They're not usually out during the day" He mumbled. Something rustled behind us and I grabbed his hand tightly. He laced his fingers with mine. "You're alright" he said. He used his free hand to pull his hood over his head. He dropped my hand stopping us in the middle of the woods. He pulled a pair of gloves on.

"What're you doing?" I asked.

"Not getting shot by one of your stupid human acquaintances" He zipped the jacket up. I smiled at him and bit my lip. "What?" he asked. I leaned up and kissed his cheek. "Oh" he mumbled. He stared me dead in the eyes. He grabbed my waist slowly. He started to lean in. I closed my eyes. I felt his lips hovering above mine. My heart raced in my chest

"Patrick!" someone yelled. He pulled away from me. I opened my eyes blushing. I turned away to face Mark walking towards us. Pete laughed in annoyance. "You're here" Mark said.

"Yes" I said.

"Everyones been looking for you" He said.

"Good to know I'm missed" I said. He looked up at Pete.

"Who're you?" he snapped. Pete didn't respond.

"Mark, I'm trying to get home. Now's not a good time" I grabbed Petes hand and led him away. Neither of us talked. I stopped us. He leaned back against a tree. "I'm sorry" I mumbled. He shrugged and looked ahead at the town.

"I can't go much further. I'm too different. Marks probably already gone and told everyone" He said.

"I have to go alone?" I asked. He grabbed my hand and pulled me closer. He kissed my forehead gently.

"I'm right here" He said rubbing circles on the back of my hand.

"Okay" I mumbled. I started walking the other way towards town. Fucking Mark just totally ruined the moment. And god knows when we'd get another one.