Six

"Why do I have to come?" Pete whined.

"Because I don't feel like going into town alone" I said.  Phil popped his head from my pocket.  Dan was sitting on my shoulder.  He was going to hide as soon as we got out of the woods.  "We need food.  The fridge is almost empty and now that you've got a human around I'm sure it'll be easier"

"We usually steal it all when no ones looking" Phil said.  Joe hopped along behind us.  Andy was in my other pocket.

"Its warm in here!" Andy said.  I giggled.  We stopped at the end of the woods. 

"You guys stay here with Pete.  He's gonna make sure nothing happens.  Dan and Phil are coming with me" I said.  Andy hoped out of my pocket.  Dan hoped in.  They were decent sized stuffed animals so their heads were still visible. 

"I still don't get why I had to come" Pete grumbled.  I kissed his cheek.  He blushed a little.  "Okay, I see now" he said.  I didn't like spending time away from him.  I'm not sure why everyone else wanted to come but, that's why I made him come.  I walked forward into town.  Everyone stared at me like they couldn't believe it.  Hello, I'm alive. 

"Pete loves chicken and roast.  Get chicken and roast" Dan said.  I walked into the store and grabbed a shopping cart.  I slowly made my way into the meat section and threw in a ton of chicken and roast.  Then a ton of canned vegetables because we're all lazy. 

"Cake!" Phil said. 

"Cake?" I asked.

"Don't listen to him" Dan said "He just wants a ton of sweets" I chuckled and put a box of cake mix in the cart.  I threw in things I thought we might need. 

"Who has the money?" I asked.  Dan held up a roll of hundreds "Holy fuck" I whispered.
-----
I stole the shopping cart to take the bags back.  Pete was talking to Joe about something. 

"No" he snapped "Leave the subject alone"

"Pete-"

"Stay out of it clock face" Pete said. 

"Fine dog breath" Joe grumbled.  I smiled at them rolling the cart up.  "Patrick!"

"Hi" I said. 

"We got it!" Joe yelled.  They two animals hopped from my pocket "You and Pete take your time" Everyone pushed the cart and jumped inside.  It zoomed down the woods.  I chuckled at them.  They took turned getting out to push.  We watched them until we couldn't see them anymore. 

"I bought Phil a box of cake mix" I smiled.

"Jesus christ he'll be off the walls" Pete mumbled. 

"So what were you and Joe talking about?" I asked as we started to walk.  He sighed and laced his hand with mine. 

"Nothing" he said.  I nodded and kicked the stick in my way. 

"Was it about me?" I asked.

"Drop it" he said.

"So it was about me" I stopped walking.  He sighed in annoyance.

"Yes, it was about you" He said.

"And what was said about me?" I asked.  He smiled.

"A lot" he said. 

"You should give me a piggy back ride" I said.

"What?  Why?" he asked. 

"You're strong and tall.  I wanna see the world from a different height" I said.  He rolled his eyes.  I jumped on his back happily.  He grabbed my legs so I didn't hit the ground.  "Wow" I whispered.  He started walked us down to the castle "This is so cool" He chuckled.  I leaned down and kissed his cheek. 

"I'm glad you're enjoying yourself" he mumbled.  I heard some rustling and he froze.  He dropped me to the ground.  "Stay completely still" he mumbled.  He looked around at the now silent woods.  "Come out!" he yelled "I can hear you!" The woods remained silent and still.  "Whoever it is they're human" 

"How can you tell?" I asked.

"I have the nose of a dog" He sniffed "They're still here" I gripped the back of his shirt in fear.  "They're running" he ran away from me before I could get a single word out.  He tackled someone to the ground.  "Who are you!?" he yelled.  He picked them up.  One of Marks friends.  They snapped a picture of Pete shining the flash in his face.  Pete growled and dropped him.  The man ran away.  I ran to Pete.  He growled again and turned to face me.  "Bastard!" he yelled. 

"Pete calm down" I said.  I pressed my hand to his cheek.  He took a deep breath in.  Then he let it out.  I ran my thumb under his eye.  He stared me in the eyes.  I bit my lip and leaned up.  He moved with me until our lips met in the middle.  Finally.