It wasn't.

It couldn't be.

"Hello (Y/N)" his voice is serious still, as his head remains in it's fixed position. "Figured you'd be here"

I remain silent, his ordered scotch still clamped in the sudden prespirpiring grip of my hand. My throat ran dry and my tongue immovable in creating a single string of simple words. The glass is placed before him and his eyes soon climb to my own widened ones, "So we could talk"

"Talk? Talk about what?"

His hand takes the glass and rattles the ice about within before taking a single sip, "you know what" he simply replies with the rim of thick glass still feathered against his lips. Rafe wasn't seriously requesting a chance in returning an abandoned argument was he? Though in a response, I find my hands been clapped against the mahogany before him, "and what if I don't want to" My words seemed serious although they emitted as if playful or teasing which I myself was more surprised to hear than he. His velvet emerald orbs flash up to me again and a smirk evolves behind his glass, "always were a teaser," a silent rumbling of chuckling follows, "but I'm going straight to the point dear," his glass lands against the coaster as he sighs heavily, "I need you"

With some profound power I find my arms crossed to him, "need me?" they whisper as quietly as he spoke. Rafe Adler had seriously not just spoke those line of words. That mind of his always in focus with himself and not those around him. Always set to a task and not getting distracted by... Well anything.

"Look at me (Y/N)... Look what happened to me when you left," His breathing is heavy and his eyes fierce, "I've got bags under my eyes from restless nights, I've been drinking non stop and I've got fucking blood and cuts all over my hands! I'm a goddamn wreck" a sudden raise in voice easily attracted a few curious eyes around the bar and I find myself trying to comfort Rafe by been unable to. I tried, but only found myself flinching slightly.

"Rafe stop-" I manage.

"What? Stop wallowing in self pity?!"

"I didn't say that"

"Sure" he scoffs reuniting a prolonged swig of scotch to his body.

I didn't know how to respond.

Albeit, Rafe saying he needed me couldn't help rekindle those thoughts I had about been quite worried about him from time to time. I had heard stories about him. Bad stories. I've wanted to speak to him for months but just could not bring myself in taking the chance in doing it. I had left him for a significant reason and figured if we worked things out and got back together, I'd just fall down the same hole all over again. However, looking at him here now, in such a state, changed that completely. He was the one who found me and now was requesting me back in simply saying he needed me.

"Rafe"

Desperate. Requiring that one person he has been apart from for so long. As if it was his last hope is remaining that tiny bit sane.

His eyes fall to his drink watching the ice crack and digest any drop of liquor it could soak. His left hand is trapped around it, thumb following the engravings carved against the glass whilst the other remains idle on the countertop. Without even thinking I have my own set on top of it, that Rafe seemed too numb to even notice. I could easily feel the roughness of previously wounded knuckles and trails of healing cuts all sketched on the back of his hand. It wasn't the same clean and calloused hand I had held all that time ago. He sighs again. Finding the courage to actually look at the petite hand against his own, "I'm... I'm sorry" He slips, turning that hand around in order to hold mine, "Alright love... I shouldn't have left you on the side and ignored you. I suppose I was too caught up on what I figured was important." a grip was created against us and his thumb finds itself lazily sweeping the back of mine, "I guess you could say what was actually important was sitting right in front of me the whole time."

I find myself dazed. Confused. And somehow happy all rolled into one emotion. My face forms a faint smile and the empathy had previously felt for this man came crashing over me once again.

Oh who was I kidding!

I've been stuck in a bubble of regret ever since I left him wallowing in the dumps all this time. Bringing himself from it was so foreign and so unusual from his persona and witnessing it first hand made my heart swell because it truly evoked his true inner emotions. That he really did possess a goddamn heart inside that craze driven body of his.

"I've a confession..."

It just took him a long time to actually find what was responsible in shattering it, causing him to loose his mind in madness and regret, drown his sorrows in alcohol and tear his body apart with brutal fights and harm created by his own actions against any brick layed wall his fists could drive against.

"I've missed you too"

It was you

Just you.