Forty Three

Lucas.

I walked slowly down the road, my brain cluttered. Everything went to shit quickly, and I don't know how to deal with it. How am I supposed to function with all of this new information, all of these new problems?

I arrived at Mike's house quickly, knocking lightly. Mrs. Wheeler opened the door, giving me a weak smile. I returned it, and I was let inside. I stood by the door with her, waiting patiently. It wasn't long before Mike slowly came down the stairs, his steps careful. He eventually approached us, and his mom helped him put his coat on. He pulled his shoes on and I walked outside once again.

I know he's annoyed that we have to do this, but it's his fault.

We climbed into his car, and Mrs. Wheeler drove us quickly to school. Mike stared out the window blankly the entire time, and I got that sinking feeling back. Did it actually get that bad? Was he actually that miserable?

Once we got to school, Mike climbed out quickly.

"Stay with him, Lucas. I'm trusting you," Mrs. Wheeler spoke up, and I nodded stiffly. I climbed out then, walking to the other side of the car where Mike was waiting for me. His mom drove away, and he immediately rolled his eyes and started walking forward.

"Mike, we really should talk," I urged, and he huffed.

"Lucas, it was an accident. Do you think I tried to do that?" he spoke angrily, and I didn't answer at first.

"Kind of. Yeah, you didn't mean to do it that bad, but you still did it," I whispered, and he set his jaw before shaking his head. He said nothing else as we approached Dustin and Max. Will isn't here yet.

"Hey, how's it going?" Dustin asked slowly, and Mike shifted from one foot to the other, something he does when he's annoyed.

"I'm not a China doll, in case you've forgotten," he threw in sarcastically, but we ignored him.

"Everything is good. What about with you guys? Max, you feeling better?" I asked, and she nodded with a side smile.

"Hey, is anyone actually up for school today? I have an idea," Max spoke up, and I looked at her wearily. She was looking at Mike, then, and he nodded quickly.

"I'd rather not go to school," he commented, and I shook my head.

"Mike, they're expecting us," I reminded, and he shrugged as he followed Max. Dustin and I looked at each other with confused and hesitant eyes, but followed. On the way out of the school grounds, we saw Will. He furrowed his eyebrows at us, but followed along anyway.

No one said anything, and I soon noticed that we were heading for the woods. This can't be good.

"Max, what's going on?" Dustin asked, and she didn't answer.

"C'mon, this is important. We'll tell you once we get there," Mike spoke up, and everyone got confused expressions. How does he know what's going on? Was I right? They're planning something?

We followed along silently, and soon stopped in a small clearing. Mike stood next to Max, and they faced us, and everything is just really weird right now.

"Ok, so, I've been keeping a secret from all of you. Mike knows, but that's just because he caught me at a very bad time. Basically, well...I'm Ten," she spoke smoothly, making Dustin and I furrow our eyebrows.

"Ten? Like ten years old?" Dustin asked, and I nodded along. She rolled her eyes.

"No, idiots, I'm number Ten," she scolded, then pulled up her sleeve to reveal a small 010 on her arm.