Eleven

How she looks at him wow

Nancy.

I said goodbye to my mom and locked the door behind me. I looked up at the pitch dark sky and frowned slightly. I have a weird feeling today, I have since I woke up. I just feel like something weird is gonna happen.

I walked down our path and to the driveway, where Steve's car sat. I'm more than capable of driving myself, but he enjoys picking me up. I don't mind, either, I like the company. I climbed in and he gave me a side smile. I furrowed my eyebrows while smiling back.

"What is it?" I asked, and he leaning forward, looking out the windshield at my house.

"Your brother likes to glare at me through the window," he chuckled a bit, waving at Mike teasingly. I looked forward and saw Mike in the window, his long hair messy. He rolled his eyes, then looked at me and gave me a weird look. It must've been the 'what are you still doing with that douche bag' look, but I'm not sure. Everyone thinks Steve is bad for me, but he's not. He's actually really funny and nice. He's not a bad guy, he's changed. I waved lightly at Mike, and he waved back before leaving the window. "He doesn't like me, huh?"

"No, but he's just being protective. Leave him alone, he's going through a hard time right now," I mumbled, and he looked at me with raised eyebrows.

"Your thirteen-year-old brother is going through a hard time?" he chuckled, and I looked at him with an annoyed expression.

"Yeah, he is. A really hard time, and his age doesn't matter," I shot back, but he just continued to smile and shake his head. I shook my head right back. "I want to drive myself today," I stated simply, getting out of the car and slamming the door. Knowing Steve, he'll get out and convince me to let him drive me. I walked to my car and started to unlock the door, but was stopped by the crunching of wheels rolling on asphalt. He left.

I stood there, staring in the direction that his car went. I shouldn't feel hurt, but I do. He just left, he didn't try to stop me and didn't apologize.

"Nancy? Why're you still here?" I heard Mike's voice, and I turned to look at him. My face fell for many reasons. He looked so run down and tired. His hair was really long by now, and he doesn't wash it much, or brush it. He's noticeably skinnier, which makes me want to cry on the spot. He really is going through a hard time, and no one cares to notice it.

"I'm leaving now. Have a good day at school." I smiled, getting into my car and catching his small wave. He got on his bike, but I noticed his face contorted in what looked to be pain. He was adjusting his pants, it looked like his thighs were bothering him. I didn't understand, but I didn't have time to ask. I'm already gonna have to hurry, or I'll be late. So I left the driveway and raced to school.

I still can't believe Steve was like that. He doesn't know a thing about Mike or his life. He had no right to laugh and assume his problems are dumb, because they aren't. His problems are large and would affect anyone. I'm just glad he isn't as sad as he could be, that would be bad. I've heard about what some depressed people do, and I'm glad he isn't to that point.

I pulled into school and parked next to Jonathan, who was sitting on the hood of his car. He was going through his photo album, sorting pictures.

"Hey, Nance!" He cheered, packing up his stuff. "You drove yourself? I saw Steve pull in and he looked annoyed. You good?" He asked, and I approached him slowly, hugging my books to my chest. I shook my head, going to sit next to him.

"Steve wasn't too nice. He was being weird about Mike and I said Mike has problems he's dealing with. He just laughed, he found it dumb. So I got out of the car, expecting him to follow and convince me to go with him, like he always does. But he didn't, he just drove away. I shouldn't be sad over that, but it bothered me. He never pays attention to how anyone else feels, he acts like no one else has problems," I vented, then looked at Jonathan and backtracked. "Sorry, I shouldn't talk about him like that."

"I think you should. If he makes you feel like shit, you shouldn't put up with it. A boyfriend should be someone that listens to you and helps you through things. Even if he thinks your problems are dumb, or don't make sense. He should still listen and try to help," he was speaking softly, looking me in the eyes with a weird expression. I got a strange feeling in my stomach, so I looked away. I was about to speak when I caught sight of someone. Someone I've never seen before.

Walking across the parking lot was a guy who looked too old to be in high school. Even through his dark jean jacket, you could see his muscular arms. His face held a smirk, and his eyes looked slightly menacing. But they also gleamed bright in the rising sun, they were an icy blue and easy to get lost in. Every girl in eyesight was staring at him, along with a few boys. He was...mesmerizing. Mesmerizing and new.

Jonathan spoke up, his voice dull. What he said confused me, and had me wondering what's truly going on in this town. Something isn't right.

"Wondered when he'd finally show up."

~

edit, 6-15-19: Fr I forgot how much foreshadowing this story holds. Wow I lowkey love it