Chapter-13

The college days were really fun. Yash and Vaishnavi were always there for me whenever I got into trouble. Pixie-cut always tried to call and message me whenever she got time. I somehow managed to clear all the arrears.

The most horrible thing to happen in a boy’s life is..  Days passed and college days finally came to an end. One day, Yash called me through phone.

“Hey dude tell me what’s up?”

“It’s regarding Vaishnavi!”

“Oh…. Her marriage huh?”

“Hmm no.. her marriage won’t happen!”

“What? You kidding or what?”

“I’m pretty serious! The guy whom she got engaged to is now in love with another girl it seems”

“Well…. what she…uhh…hmmm… How is she feeling now? How did you know about this?”

“She only told me Mara…but she didn’t want you to know about this!”

“Hmm ok thanks for informing me”

I called Vaishnavi through Facebook immediately after I finished speaking with Yash.

“Hey Mara.. how are you!”

“Ya…. Fine… is it true?”

“Hmm……..yes”

“Oh.. so how are you feeling now?”

“I don’t have much.. I just kinda missed you in my life right?”

“Well… why didn’t you tell this earlier? Thank God Yash called otherwise I would have known anything about this”

“Hmm..well leave it.. Can we meet at Fun mall tomorrow? I just want to get over this..”

“Ok I’ll be there in the morning”

The Next day, i got myself ready and went to the mall.I found Vaishnavi waiting alone outside an icecream parlour.

“Hey….hi!”

“Hi Mara… It’s good to see you”

“I’m really sorry for you..well.. don’t worry.. I know you will get a very good guy soon”

“Ha ha! You proposed me once in college remember?”

“How can I forget that?”

“Well… I’m really sorry for that.. I shouldn’t have spilled water over your face.. I shouldn’t have rejected you… I shouldn’t have…”

“It’s ok… That’s past! Leave it”

“So do you have any feelings for me?”

“Huh? Why did you ask me this question suddenly?"

“No.. I just wanted to ask! If you don’t feel like telling, it’s ok”

“Hmmm….well I did love you sincerely once..I still am kinda worried about you sometimes!”

“So what will you do if I accept your love at this point of time?”

“What? How can you even say that? A girl loves me like hell! How can I reject her? No way”

“Well! You know what? I love you….still…do you..”

“No no stop it Vaishnavi! I don’t want to slap you this time as well”

“But why?”

“I love Gayathri…. Yes true.. I loved you.. I still maybe have some feelings for you..But I gave my word to her..And she truly loves me more than I ever did so…guess I’m sorry”

“Well..ok”

I looked at her. Her eyes were piercingly beautiful as it had always been. She tried to stop the tears which kept on coming from the corner of her eyes. I held her hand gently.

“Dear vaishnavi….. you should understand that everyone has a past…I know that’s difficult but still… I want you to be happy…”

“You know…. You have made a good choice Mara..I’m happy for you..Infact I will tell you something now which will make you slap me!”

“What is that?”

“Just wait for 10 minutes will you?”

“Ok then order some icecreams will you?”

“Sure!”

As we were eating icecreams, she suddenly signalled someone behind me. I turned around to see who was standing. It was the same girl with the nerdy glasses and the pixie-cut hairstyle.

“How in the world! Imsaiya ! Pixie-cut? You here!”

“Yes silly mafia! How are you?”

“I’m awesome…why didn’t you tell that you are coming here?”

“Well… to be honest, I didn’t come for you”

“Then?”

She pointed her hands at vaishnavi, smiled and hugged her. I tried to watch all things that they were doing.

“You know Gayu? Mara was such a jerk in college!”

“Huh why?”

“I will tell you one example..”

“Ok…I’m listening”

“Once in school there was a girl who was supposed to monitor all the boys and girls dress-code”

“Okay..”

“She was so sincere that she even mentioned the name of the boys who didn’t tuck in their shirts”

“Hmmm..sounds interesting”

“Your lover and his crazy friend Yash didn’t have the habit of tucking in their shirts”

“Ha ha..that I can understand”

“So one day, she complained to the class advisor about this! You know what he said to her?”

“What did he say?”

“He said like…Mam that girl is not doing justice in maintaining her dress-code note..Infact she itself is not in proper uniform”

“Wow great then"

“Actually the girl was wearing proper uniform only but this guy…. He told that the girl is not tucking in her chudidhar..so..”

“Ha ha shit mara! Silly as always…ha ha”

I tried to give a stare but I couldn’t do anything more to hurt them. After all they both are the people who like me for who I am. Pixie-cut smiled and held my hand.

“So you girls planned already to come here and make fun of me?”

“No Mara! We both love you.. But Gayu is the perfect fit for you! Promise me that you won’t leave her no matter what happens okay?”

“Sure Togepi! I promise you that”

As I mentioned the name Togepi, she looked at me and gave a sad smile as if she remembered something.

After sometime of togetherness, Vaishnavi left home. I dropped pixie-cut at the railway station as always by Taxi.

“You know actually I’m very lucky to get you…not that you are perfect or handsome but…you chose me over a very good girl…Thanks Mara..Hope we three stay like this forever”

“Welcome dear.. Take care have a safe journey”