Chapter-5

“Tell me Vaishnavi, what happened? Did this guy slap you?”

She hung her face. I didn’t care what the HOD said or scolded because my full concentration was on her. Such an animal I am!

Why did I do such a thing to a girl who wanted to be my friend and wanted me to participate in the competition? Shit! I hate myself. As I was thinking, she gave a look at me and spoke.

“Sir it wasn’t his fault alone. I made him angry by saying bad words to him. That’s why he slapped me. I think I deserved that slap. Please forgive both of us sir”

I was shocked to see her speak like that! How can she…? Is she trying to sacrifice for me or what? I was feeling like a fished up villain. I couldn’t see her face.

The HOD warned us and then told us to go back to our class. I saw that the college bell had rung because I saw boys and girls rushing out of their classes. I rushed behind  and held her hand.

“Vaishnavi…..I….. am…well….”

“It’s ok Mara! I understand. I shouldn’t have asked you to join with me in the competition. Afterall.. I’m weak right? Because I’m a girl?”

“I’m really sorry…. I was an animal… Please slap me.... Don’t leave like this…. Why didn’t you tell the truth to HOD?”

“Because I promised to be your friend Mara… and you know what? I will always be no matter what you hurt me”

I stopped walking. I looked at her eyes. Her face was still red from my horrible slap.

“I’m not worthy to be forgiven….if it was some other girl in your place she would have insulted me and…..”

“Hey Mara stop it. I still didn't forgive you”

“What should I do?"

"Join the debate competition with me ok?"

“Yes…. I would love to join with you as a team. Thanks for selecting me to be your partner in debate”

“Naa… I’m proud to have you. Wait……… about the next condition”

“And what is that Vaishnavi?”

“You should send me friend request in Facebook right away”

“But……I don’t have any… well… you did such a brave thing in front of HOD and saved my engineering life… Ok let’s be friends on facebook and do you have a mobile number?”

“No Mara my dad is strict and the phone is a postpaid one so he will easily find out who is calling and so…..”

“It’s ok… I understand… Fb is more than enough and besides you are very lucky”

“Why?”

“You are the first girl to ever create an impression on me so much to be my only friend(girl) on facebook”

“Why you don’t like girls? Is there any specific reason for that?”

“Yes there’s a lot of reasons”

“Ok Mafia! I don’t care what they are…”

“What? Mafia…?”

“Yeah! You…you only”

“Ok togepi”

“What…. me…. Togepi?”

“Yeah…. You only…. You look and walk exactly like that pokemon”

She smiled. Holy comoly! I made a girl smile for the first time in my life.

“Are you registering in any other competition Vaishnavi?”

“Yes…. Face painting….”

“Wow… great! I heard that you want to be an artist in the future?” 

“Obviously! It’s my passion. Hey will you be my model for face-painting?”

“What the fish! No way…….. but….I will on one condition”

“And what is that?”

“You should only face-paint what fictional character I say ok?”

As we were speaking, Yash came to check whether everything was going fine.

“Vaishnavi! I’m sorry if my friend Mara had hurt you. He’s actually a cranked up good person”

“Ha ha I know Yash! We are cool…. Infact we both are going to participate in two competitions together”

“Well happy for both of you! Now can I borrow my friend please Vaishnavi?”

Yash pulled my hand and walked into the classroom.

“Dude? What happened?”

“Everything is fine between you and Vaishnavi na?”

“Yes! I apologised. She is a good girl guess I was lucky”

“But I’m not lucky dude! Fiona is going to perform along with seniors it seems. What should I do?”

“Why don’t you form a new band? I mean with serene and other guys you know”

“But there are less members! Do you know anyone who can sing or play music?”

“Yes dude there’s a guy named Kaushik who can play drums”

‘Can you introduce him to me please”

“Sure! Why not? Let’s finish our meal first!”

The annual day culturals came at last. Vaishnavi always messaged regularly on Facebook or hike. First there was a face-painting competition in which Vaishnavi did Joker make-up on me as I had requested. It was so surrealistic as it was in the movie! No wonder she got the first prize for it!

It was almost for time for the Debate to start. I was nervous because Yash was practising the group song. As I was thinking, Vaishnavi came.

“Hey togepi how are you?”

“Mara you seem nervous?”

“This is my first big competition so yes a little nervous”

“Don’t worry! We are a team we will do it”

The competition started. The debate was about the advantages and disadvantages of Digital India. As always, I took the disadvantages and Vaishnavi took the advantages. We debated well and somehow managed to defeat the remaining teams.

“Mara we have to debate between ourselves so don’t go easy on me ok?”

“Ya…sure”

We both debated for about ten minutes and at a point of time, I stammered! Her debate points were sharp and up to the mark. I was about to give up when suddenly….

“Sir I give up! I can’t compete with Mara”

I gave a horrified look at her. She winked at me! The judges discussed for sometime.....

“Why you still have an upper hand over the debate Vaishnavi? Are you sure!”

“Yes madam I’m sure”

“Debate prize goes to Mara and runner-up of this competition goes to Vaishnavi!”