Chapter 5 - First Impressions

Start from the beginning

Each of the nobles in the room nodded in agreement.

Honesty Gwen didn't much care for the peony. It was too simple of a flower and because it grew everywhere she thought of it like a weed; however, it was the meaning that she wanted. She had redirected the question and her spite, into a way of revealing information that she believed would put her in the good favor of King Griggory.

Her father had not sent her to Terrafeuw to act the way she normally acted, nor would he approve of her acting the way she wanted to. Instead she had been given a mission to gain the crown, and although her actions towards the aging king made her feel sick, she followed her orders.

She couldn't openly flirt with the Terrafein King. That type of behavior was completely against the expectations that every nobleman had of Rramnon Royalty and doing so would make the noblemen question her motives. She had to make it look like her emotions were fighting against her Rramnon sense of restraint.

Gwen often found herself at war with her feelings, but she had become too good at hiding the struggle from others.

Now she needed a way to show struggle.

After her explanation of the peonies the dinner soon came to an end. She left the dinning hall with her head held high and her posture perfectly straight.

She scanned the guards as they paired off with their assigned noblemen and escorted them off for after dinner brandy, or a casual game of cards. Princess Gwenwyn wouldn't be invited to either.

Suddenly, a pair of sky blue eyes found hers and for the briefest of moments she let them hold her attention.

"Princess Gwenwyn?" She heard King Griggory ask from behind her.

She allowed her eyes to quickly finish their scan for Guard Bingham. She made a small mental note of his position before she turned her attention towards the Terrafein King.

"Your Majesty." She responded with the smallest curtsy.

"I would like to invite you to a private lunch tomorrow." He stated easily. "I find myself fascinated with the structure of society in Rramnon, and I was hoping that you might assist in expanding my knowledge on the subject."

She took a slow breath to calm her nerves as well as give the appearance of contemplation. "I accept your invitation, your Majesty." She agreed tentatively.

It was an emotion that she didn't have to fake.

King Griggory smiled warmly at her response, bowed, and left her to join the other men in their after dinner past times.

Again, she felt her feet complain at the confinement of her slippers.

Fortunately Guard Bingham walked to her side to ask her if she wished to retire to her chamber. If he hadn't appeared at that moment, Gwen might have jeopardized everything by running off then and there.

She chided herself for thinking such a thing.

It was the lying, she decided.

The lying was making her very skin itch. It made her greedy for the cool breeze of the night air, and that greed made her reckless.

She allowed Guard Bingham to escort her back to the olive room, where he bid her goodnight and promised to keep watch so that she might sleep soundly.

Gwenwyn then made herself numb and emotionless, as Mryah removed the pins from her hair and assisted her into her nightgown. Her lady-in-waiting promptly helped her into bed and then left for her own small chamber.

Step.

Step.

Step.

Step.