8- they have rOdentS

"Vera, what the hell do you think that you're doing?" My father hisses at me over my burner phone as I'm putting on some makeup in the small bathroom mirror of my small apartment.

"I think that I'm doing the best that I can with an impossible task," I tell him, knowing that he's angry because of this 'date' thing with Dante because I had told Sergei about it and he didn't think that it was a great idea but what am I supposed to do about that now?

"I told you that you should seduce Giovanni only if necessary, not to fuck his son," His voice is getting louder and I don't like it when he yells at me but knowing that he's too far away to reach me, I just stay calm.

"Nobody's fucking anybody," I correct him. "I'm just covering my ass. He caught me outside of his office after I broke in. What the hell was I supposed to do? 'Yes, Dante, hi, I was actually sent here by the Russians to steal your secrets, sorry about that' and then just expect him to let me go?"

"Dante is not an important part of their infrastructure," He ignores me and continues on his rant because he isn't very logical when he's angry. "Getting close to him will get us nowhere."

"Well, I won't be dead," I inform him and then I let him yell at me some more as I put on my dark lipstick. "So that's somewhere. To me, at least. Look, we got somewhere with the stuff in Dante's office. The files weren't all useless, were they? So suck it up and let me do the job that you sent me here to do."

"From now on, you are to listen to Sergei's exact orders, do you understand me?" He demands of me just as the iPhone sitting on the corner of the sink bings with a text. I hadn't given Dante my number but it was on my resume, which he has access to so I wouldn't be surprised if this text is from him.

"Of course, Boss," I assure my father, unlocking the screen to confirm my suspicions. The text just reads 'I'm outside' and that's it. It's either Dante or somebody else about to kill me. I can't take a gun with me though, so I'm hoping for the Dante option. Granted, he might be trying to kill me too. "He's here, I have to go. I'll send a message to Sergei when I get back to let him know that I made it back, alright?"

"Don't fuck this up, Vera," He snaps at me in his gruff voice and then he hangs up the phone. With a loud sigh, I grab both phones and leave the bathroom. I leave the burner phone in the closet and I grab my bag that has my wallet and keys in it before I leave the tiny apartment.

Out on the curb in front of the apartment building, the car parked at the curb is a black Aston Martin with Dante leaning against the hood wearing dark jeans and a button up shirt under a fitted leather jacket.

"I feel underdressed," I admit, looking down at my dark shorts, floral corset, and denim vest. I didn't even pack any fancy clothes to bring with me to the apartment so even if I wanted to dress up, I didn't have that option.

 I didn't even pack any fancy clothes to bring with me to the apartment so even if I wanted to dress up, I didn't have that option

"You are completely underdressed," He confirms with a nod but he does not dismiss me, he opens the passenger door for me. Who knew he could be such a gentleman?