George pointed to the outside door and Fred nodded as he leveled his wand to cover his brother. George slowly opened the door to reveal a plain stone courtyard with an oddly long and narrow shape.

"I don't see anything," whispered Fred so softly that he was barely audible. George didn't need to hear him; he could read his brother's lips and body language. George quickly popped his head out the door and drew back inside, pressing his body against the study wall.

"Nothing there, Fred."

The twins walked outside with their wands still drawn and inspected the courtyard carefully.

"I didn't see this from the garden, did you?"

"No," replied George. "It's not a very cheerful space, is it? Not Lin's taste at all."

"It looks like a dueling arena," replied Fred. "Lin's obviously not here. Maybe she went on holiday."

"Without telling us?"

"She does have a life of her own, you know."

"She never stops talking, Fred. She tells everyone everything."

"You make an excellent point, George. Let's check for her car. She might've gone for a drive."

Fred and George proceeded to the garage, and George tugged on the door. "Locked."

Fred aimed his wand and said, "Alohomora." George pulled on the garage door again and lifted it open. Lindsay's car and motorbike were still parked inside, and both had cold engines.

"This is worrisome, Fred. I think the Git's done something to her." When Fred didn't answer, George turned to see his twin looking like he was on the verge of an angry fit.

"I think I know what's happened here, George, and we need to sort it out."

#

The twins apparated to 12 Grimmauld Place and crept silently past the sleeping portrait of Walburga Black. Most people were eating lunch at this time of the day so the twins surmised that they'd find Remus and Sirius in the kitchen.

Sirius was seated in his usual place; he leaned back in his chair, balancing it on its two rear legs. He was drumming his fingers on the table, impatiently waiting for Remus to finish reading an academic article. Remus was accustomed to Sirius' many noisy irritations and had developed the ability to ignore his friend completely. Sirius' chair slammed onto its forelegs as Fred and George burst into the room. Both Remus and Sirius had immediately risen and drawn their wands.

"What the hell's the matter with you two?" said Sirius.

"Where is she?" shouted Fred.

"Where's who?" said Sirius, the anger in his voice matched the rage in Fred's.

"What did you do to Lin?" yelled George. "We're not leaving here until we know!"

"We haven't done anything!" said Sirius.

"Please," began Remus, "just sit down and we can discuss this rationally."

"Tell us where she is!" demanded Fred.

"We didn't even know she was missing!" said Sirius.

"I don't believe you!" said the twins in unison.

"We're not lying to you," said Remus. "Please, just sit and we'll talk about it."

George, slightly less hot-headed than his twin, laid his hand on Fred's shoulder and gestured toward a chair. The twins sat stiffly, followed by the two men.