29. A terrible misunderstanding

Start from the beginning

     "Something like that..." she replied coldly.

     Jade coughed.

     "How are you, your Honor?" Alexandra managed to add in an attempt to sound both polite and menial.

     "You know what it's like. With all my responsibilities, I barely have enough time to sleep."

     Apparently, you find plenty of time to eat...

     Luckily, he went on before any of her inner thoughts could escape her mouth.

     "I see that you came with quite the pleasant entourage." He turned his attention toward the Doc. "It's always a pleasure to see you, Miss d'Ambroise!"

     Jade faked courtesy and showed a little reverence, lifting an imaginary dress and bowing her head to hide her repulsed face.

     "And who might be this lovely creature hiding behind you?" The Harbor Master licked his lips.

      Alexandra clenched her jaw. This little masquerade had lasted too long already. She stepped to the side and pushed Savy in front of her. "Don La Choza, let me introduce you to Savannah Perrault, the most recent passenger to come aboard the Lady Lesya."

     Savy curtsied deeply, not realizing that she presented her décolleté to the gargantuan man's greedy eyes. When the girl stood again, the Harbor Master had turned crimson and wore a predatory smile.

      "It's a real pleasure to meet you, miss," he said. He turned his face toward Alexandra, yet his eyes remained glued on Savy. "And what can I do for you, ladies? Please be brief, my time is... precious."

     The First Mate repressed a sigh. And your help will come at a price. Etienne will be pissed... Pissed but free, hopefully. "There has been a terrible misunderstanding."

     "Let me guess." La Choza shifted his weight on his armchair. The valiant piece of furniture whined, gathered its strength and held on. "One of your men has been arrested again."

     Alexandra felt Jade come closer, offering silent support. She closed her eyes before answering. "It's our Captain, your Honor."

     La Choza's laugh filled the room like thunder. Alexandra opened her lids on a gaze that provided the overdue lightning. She endured the hilarity and the pitiful show of jiggling flesh for as long as she possibly could.

     "Sir!" Alexandra almost shouted.

     He raised a hand that could have been imperious, if it hadn't looked like a bunch of tiny, raw sausages choked by tacky rings. His laughter died abruptly.

     "That explains his absence! And I bet that you want my help getting him out of Señor de la Luz's wine cellar."

     Alexandra could only nod. Jade answered in her stead.

     "Indeed, we do."

     The Harbor Master remained silent for a while, eyes squinting, mouth pouting. Then, he took a sheet of rough paper out of a drawer before speaking again. His voice was ominously soft.

     "I will intercede in your captain's favor."

     He took a quill, dipped it in the large inkwell in front of him, and started scribbling quickly.

     "It just so happens that our dear Chief Constable owes me. I guess it's your lucky day..." His voice remained menacingly mellifluous.

     He finished his letter, taking his time to calligraph his signature.

     Alexandra realized that she hadn't breathed since he started writing, and that her nails were digging deep into her palms. Savy had taken several quiet steps back, as if she wanted to hide behind her. Unconsciously, the three women had drawn closer to each other to withstand the look Javier La Choza gave them over the drying missive.

     "Then again," he said. "I only give credit to my friends. And we're not exactly friends, are we ladies? But rest assured, it's your lucky day. I accept remittance of all kind!"

 I accept remittance of all kind!"

Last update on June 27th, 2019