Mark Thomas // We Don't Have to Care

requested by @ItsLexyLynn

Mark avoids my gaze as we pass in the hall. I sigh, rolling my eyes again.

He's been incredibly distant over the past few weeks, and it's been bugging me. Recently, he's been refusing to talk to me during school, but after school, we'll spend hours together as if it's normal.

Slamming my locker door shut, I zip my backpack quickly and walk outside toward the bench that has always been ours.

Sitting down, I check my phone in peace until a pair of warm arms wrap around my shoulders.

"Hey," Mark whispers before kissing my cheek.

I refuse to smile and, instead, turn of my phone calmly.

"We need to talk."

Mark's face turns serious, "Yeah. Okay?"

"Why," I turn away from his gaze for a moment, "Why can't we be a normal relationship? We can't we hang out in school?"

"Because," Mark says. His voice has a hint of finality.

"Because? That's all you have to say?" I roll eyes, "Mark, I don't know about you, but I know that I care for you. I know that you have a piece of my heart, but I can't deal with someone who only wants to be my boyfriend sometimes."

"I never said I only wanted to be your boyfriend sometimes."

"Then what did you mean?" I ask impatiently. His attitude is getting to me.

"I care about you too, but isn't it better if we have separate lives and don't depend on each other all the times?"

I stare at him, "Separate lives."

"I-I just have friends, and you do too. If we spend our time together, that's not spending time with our friends," He looks at me strangely, "Isn't that better?"

"But, why?" I ask, "Why avoid me? You avoid my gaze. If I talk to you, you quickly make an excuse before walking away. Is there something wrong?"

"No," His voices rise, "We don't need to act like a couple at school."

I let his words sink in, "I'm not allowed to talk to you anymore?"

"Not in school. People don't have to see us together at school. I just don't think it's best. We can be separate, nor together. Not everyone has to see us dating and—"

I cut him off, "Mark!" I shout standing up, "I'm sorry, but I can't have a boyfriend who doesn't want to be seen with me."

He stand up, his voice grows louder too, "Fine. Then, what?"

"Then, we break up."

He's silent, "Okay. Then, we break up."

He turns and walks away. I'm frozen, watching as his back fade away. Tears begin, but I stay frozen. My heart breaks as I watch him disappear.

;

I try to focus on my homework. It's been a few weeks since Mark and I broke up, and it still hurts. I miss him in my life; he was always there for me when I needed him most and he knew me better than anyone else.

I hear a quiet knock from outside. Confused, I stand up to answer it. Through the glass window, I catch a glimpse of Mark.

My hands shake uneasily as I open the door.

"I'm so so sorry, Lexy," His voice is quiet as he looks me straight in the eye.

Emotions play in his eyes: sadness, guilt, and anger.

"I-I didn't know what to do. All my friends would say how I was so soft for you. How love, just like every other emotion, makes me weak. I thought loving you was wrong. I would avoid you because I was afraid they would make fun of me if they saw us together.

"I'm so sorry. I never meant to hurt you like I did. I was scared. I was a coward. Please accept my apology because I cannot live without you.

"It felt like suffocation without you. They continued making fun of me nonetheless. They told me I was weak for being sad. They didn't sympathize, and finally, yesterday, they told me I wasn't worth their time. I was too weak for them.

"I-I couldn't stand being alone. I need you, Lexy," A single tear runs down his face, "I love you, Lexy."

"Mark," I whisper before hugging him fiercely, "I had no idea they were mocking you. I would have understood. I'm so sorry," I pull away from him.

"Lexy, will you be my girlfriend again?"

"Of course," He smiles and kisses me gently.

"I promise I won't walk away again. I-I can't stand them and what they said about me, about us."

"I love you, Mark," I hug him again, "And, we don't have to care. We don't have to care about what others think. I love you, and that's all that matters."

He kisses me once more before whispering hoarsely, "Yeah, we don't have to care."

» melody