Chapter no.31

Her bedroom window creaked open and a man stepped in. His eyes wandered about and finally set on the girl sleeping in her bed. The girl who would be his key to revenge.

The cold wind battered against his face as he walked closer to the bed on which she rested.

Meryl shot up suddenly feeling a presence near by.

"And we meet again." His voice was cold and taunting. A voice that could send chills to the very roots of your body. She couldn't believe how she had fallen in love with this cold, ruthless man. She cringed at the sight of his menacing eyes.

"What are you doing here?" She hissed hastily getting put of bed.
"You seem all relaxed. I thought you might need reminding that I have your brother's neck-"
"Please-I-I'm trying but I need time. Please don't harm him." She hated more than anything how much of a wreck she was in front of him. She was weak and helpless at this point. What could she do but obey him?

"I don't have TIME. I need your brother out of the way." He said.
Meryl paced the room massaging her temples. This was too much for her. She wasn't able to live in peace anymore. Even smiling seemed like a life threatening act. And it was because of this man standing in her room.

"Why are you doing this? Just leave the poor girl alone." She frowned at how feeble her voice was in comparison to his.
"ITS NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS....." he held on to her arm harshly and yanked her against the wall. Tears pricked her eyes but she refused to let them fall.

"You promised to not harm Cameron. You shot him-" she dared.

But the anger that lit his already menacing eyes made her shrink away from his face that was inches from hers.
"I will kill every last person who is in my way. You either keep him away or he is going down with that bitch."

And he left. Leaving Meryl shaken badly.
She felt like a criminal now just like Calvin was.

She had a vague idea that Calvin was after Corinne.

But why did he want to harm her? What exactly did she have to do with Calvin? Were they related somehow? Why had Calvin wanted to keep his identity out of Corinne's sight so badly?

All he did was threaten Meryl. He never told her why he was targeting Corinne.
And she had no choice but to go with his plans.

*******

Corinne's POV:-

Why was I doing this again? I sighed for God knows the umpteenth time.

I was currently searching Meryl's room. Why? Because my curiosity had gotten the best of me. Meryl was hiding something and it could have been none of my business but I knew I had seen that ring somewhere and it was probably because Meryl's secret included me too.

But my problem was, I couldn't find anything useful. The photo album I had seen twice on her bedside table was still there and it was of no use. But I checked her drawers and the ring was gone.

Now this was adding more to my suspicions.

What the heck was wrong with her?
Meryl wasn't home today because she said she wanted to meet a friend. She had asked me not to tell Cameron. Because then he wouldn't let her go. In an attempt to keep her safe. Safe. From what?

Suddenly a dustbin beside the window caught my eye. I walked up to it. I crouched down. I groaned.
"Why am I doing this?"

And I dumped all its contents on to the floor. Maybe I would find something.

Most of it was trash like it was supposed to be. Papers, discarted bottles of cosmetics. And then there was this half torn picture which was lying on its back side facing upwards. I picked it up carefully and turned it over.