A New Home

"Come on, Steve" You tuck your arm into the muscular blond man's and lead him from the Quinjet.

Clint glances at you two from the foot of the ramp.

"Y/N, where are we going?" Steve's typically solemn blue eyes are bright with child-like wonder.

"We're going to see a friend who can help us." You say patiently.

"Golly!" Steve grins ear to ear "I can't remember the last time I met someone new."

You let Steve see you smile, even though his words only add to your fears.

   Tony put his heart into finding a cure for Steve's amnesia. The rest of the team spread thin trying to find ways to help. In the end, you had cried more tears then you knew you had, and Steve, though he tried to comfort you couldn't understand why you were always sad.

"Do you think they'll have apple pie?"

If Steve was ever an All American man before, it's even more so since his accident. His manner is less broody and his new cheerfulness gets you through the day.

Clint laughs out loud "We'll ask."

"Agent Barton" From across the tarmac, a stately man dressed in black calls out greetings "You must be Y/N."

The archer visibly stiffens at the King of Wakanda's arrival "Hello, your Highness. Did you get all the information Tony sent?"

"The message arrived thirty minutes before you did." King T'challa glances at Steve "I am deeply sorry for the loss of James Barnes. I was sure we had been successful."

"Yeah, well-" Barton purses his lips "We just need to keep the Captain out of the public eye for a while."

"Is this your friend?" Steve whisper talks into your ear.

"Yes, Steve" you squeeze his arm gently to keep him from asking anymore.

T'challa's eyes miss nothing and you know he over heard anyway.

    "I'm sure, Y/N can fill me in on the finer details of the.." he glances back at Steve's face "..situation"

"If you don't mind" Clint inclines his head in your direction.

    "Go ahead, Steve" You nod toward the other man.

   "T'challa's is a good man, Y/N. He'll do what he can for Steve." Clint tries for a reassuring tone.

   "He's a little scary" You mutter.

   Clint grins "That's my girl. Don't be a stranger at the mansion. I'm sure you could visit us."

You offer a small smile "On your wedding, maybe."

Clint flushes, slightly "We'll see."

He envelopes you in a comforting hug, and you sigh.

"Tell everyone I'm sorry." You mumble into his shirt.

"Hey, Y/N" Your friend meets your eyes "None of this is your fault."

The archer boards the jet, and you are aware of Steve's presence behind you.

"It's okay, Y/N" he says softly and for a moment he sounds like his old self.

   "It will be" You decide.