The Avengers Initative

There is no delicate way to put it: you're a lab rat.

   Coulson gives you a cell, literally, that is sound proof and is supposed to absorb the sound and shockwaves.

   It is killing you not to be able to speak. A lump seems to have permanently lodged in your throat, and you can't even express your dismay like you want. For now, you communicate via one of those text to speech machines, courtesy of Coulson.

   Agent Simmons, she insists you call her Jemma, is the kindest of Coulson's team. But you get the feeling her kindness is to cover for what they've found out about you.

Two days is the agreed upon time span, but it might as well be two years.

They take blood and run tests on everything . You're pretty sure you've done several physicals by the end of the first day and there is no solid results from the labs, or none that Coulson will let you see.

You receive visits from Tony and Pepper. One a pleasant surprise and the other a persistent bother. Guess which is which?

"So I have this stupendous idea" Tony's eyes are bright with self importance.

Jemma puts a blood pressure cuff on your arm and connects your IV to another machine.

Astound me. You make your expression as bored as possible.

"Take a look at this" He pulls up a rough sketch of a uniform with striking similarities to Natasha's.

I don't think Nat wants an upgrade, Tony You frown.

"It's for you, genius. I've already started work on it." Tony refuses to let your lack of enthusiasm put a damper on his.

If I wanted to join the team, I would have already. Hopefully a reminder will set him straight.

"I'm gonna pretend you didn't say that." He says, stubbornly "I'm sure, Steve would love to have you on the team. That guy has been moping around for about a month now, trying to fight out how to propose."

What? You not sure if you heard correctly.

"Yeah" Tony looks at your confusion and backtracks "Oh, sorry did I ruin the surprise?"

He already asked. Didn't know it was that long in the making. I turned him down.

"Figures" Tony sounds indifferent "You're a stubborn one."

   What does that mean?

"Wake up, Y/N. There's a good thing in front of you! Take it!" Tony rolls his eyes.

With great power and connections to important people comes loss of my free evenings, sudden and unnecessary hatred from villains world wide and an overwhelming need to autograph the bottom of a certain set of accords so the leaders of the free world know I won't kill them!

"Touché" Tony smirks "None of that explains why you rejected Steve though."

Even after a year, Tony still relishes the moments when he can rile you up.

That is none yo bisquik!

"So touchy subject, eh?"

You slam your palm on the call button until Jemma appears.

Her expression is entirely too mild for the burning in your throat.

"Did you need something, Y/N?"

You point at a sneering Tony.

"Ok, Mr.Stark. I think you should go."

How on planet earth does this girl ever get anything done? Even her stern voice is mousy.

As you expected, Tony declines "I'd much rather stay if it's all the same to you."

Something in you snaps, and you open your mouth quite forgetting you shouldn't.

"You've got ten seconds to get out that door, Anthony Stark, or I will mop the floor with you!"

The ferocity of your words and the anger in your tone, emits sharp sound waves and sends Tony flying. As he connects with the wall it crumbles around him and everything not fastened to the ground trembles.

You cover your mouth in dismay at the damage, not even able to apologize for the suddenly spotty electricity.

Tony is somehow still able to make wisecracks after being slammed through a wall.

   "Point made!" He coughs, his chest heaving.

"Ok, maybe you need to take a step out" Jemma tucks your arm in hers and pulls you away from the room.

Tony sits up and brushes himself off "{Captain America Issued Language}"