End of the Line

"Take him" the girl says in a monotone.

Bucky lurches for Steve's neck, already feeling the bones snap under the pressure of his metal hand.

"Buck!" Steve deflects with his forearm, but doesn't strike back "This isn't you!"

   The words bounce off the oatmeal that is Bucky's brain.

Who is... Buck?

The wild look in Bucky's eyes belongs to the Winter Soldier.

I've lost him again, Steve laments.

"Buck!" Desperately, Steve calls to his friend hoping to break through, but to no avail. He doesn't fight when a punch powered via super soldier topples him.

He wouldn't kill me, Steve stares up at Bucky's dead eyes.

"Till the end of the line " He breathes, and the world goes black.

Bucky feels nothing when his metal fist connects with Steve's head, and the blond man relaxes.

"Orders?" He tosses, Steve's limp body over his shoulder and looks at the girl.

"Madame wants this one for the Red Room"

- - - -

   "Sir? Urgent Message from Agent Barton " Jarvis interrupts an awkwardly silent dinner.

   Tony projects the image into the air "Clint! How goes the mission?"

  The stress lines in Clint's forehead are cut a little bit deeper "I've been trying to contact Coulson but my S.H.I.E.L.D. tech seems to be malfunctioning. How is Y/N?"

   "She's staying here at the tower." Pepper speaks before Tony can say something.

   "What's up?" Tony asks.

   "I don't like this, Tony. Nat is a totally different person here. I've never seen her so unfocused since Wanda got in her head." Clint moves a bit and you can see very little in the darkness behind him.

   "What happened?"

   "We kinda had a run in with Hydra's second generation super soldiers. Nat is still a bit shaky. They've been studying her for years so they can replicate her style." He aims the screen into the darkness.

   "What about Steve?" You demand.

   Clint says something in sign language, and your throat burns.

   "What happened to them? " You lean toward Clint's image.

   "Just tell her, Barton" Pepper says sternly.

    "We got separated in the initial skirmish" Clint looks over his shoulder "Zemo didn't destroy the Winter Soldier files. They were here also."

    "What does that mean?"

    "Buck went berserk and fought Steve. Last I saw them he was taking the body to the Red Room. I didn't want to contact them if they were with Madame B."

   You open your mouth to respond but the gentle pressure from Pepper's hand stops you.

   What kind of recovery is this? You can't even yell!

   With a huff of anger and frustration, you storm out of the room.

   I could kill you myself, Steve Rogers! I hate the worrying! What am I supposed to do?