Cost of Heroics

"Don't be rash, Y/N" Pepper warned.

"What am I supposed to do?"

   "Sit tight and wait" Stress lines etch deep in Tony's face.

You fix an accusing glare on him "Don't you dare! You can fly off somewhere and take your frustration out on a stray bad guy. You don't know squat about what I'm dealing with!"

"So sue me" Tony snapped, jumping to his feet "Its not as if I haven't been with you every step of this process."

"Don't even pull that with me" You took a step toward him.

"Anthony Stark!" Pepper pushed between you "Y/N! None of this is helping anyone!"

You fell back into the couch and crossed your arms, letting your frustration rise to the surface.

   "I can't do this, anymore"

   Shadows darken the walls of your room in  Stark Tower, but you make no move to turn on the lights. The ambiance from the city below suits your mood perfectly.

   "I feel like I'm running in circles" You told Pepper "I could possibly never see Steve again!"

"Understand, Y/N, you're not the only one worrying about this." Pepper's typical calmness has an edge of annoyance.

Reaching with your toes, you pull your favorite blanket toward you.

I'm not a soldier, Steve. At first sign of trouble, I'd sooner run then fight.

The mug of tea you left on the dresser is unfinished and cold. Your college books and your sleek Stark brand laptop are shoved aside to make room on the bed.

You draw the microfiber blanket to your face. You mean so much, even if I don't marry you. But I don't know if I'm strong enough to deal with the worry, if we move forward.

An angry sob rises from your throat.

"I can't lose him, Pepper! What will I do, then?"

   Despite the hours of thought you've put into this, there seems to be one solution to this problem. But you dread the very thought of it. Whatever you do you'll have to live with it.

"Y/N?" A voice calls from the hall "Y/N come quick!"

You throw open the door "What's going on?"

Peppers face is creased with worry "It's Steve"

- - - -

   Steve can't remember anything.

   "Steve!" Someone is yelling in his face "Steve! Answer me!"

   Steve blinks. His whole body is numb.

   The face of the woman leaning over him makes him feel contented and secure, but he can't imagine why.

   The woman purses her lips "Steve, can you move? Tony says the paralysis drug hasn't worn off yet."

   Of course, I can, Steve opens his mouth and moves his lips forming the words and nothing comes out.

   "Steve?"

   He forms the words again but his tongue doesn't work. Panic reflects in his eyes and the woman touches his arm.

   "Let me try, Y/N" A dark haired man leans over Steve "Hey, Spangles! How are you doing? Can you tell us what happened to you?"

   Steve swallows hard and forces the sound from his throat "Who are you?"