Jilted

Clint's face twitches when he descends the stairs to the living room.

You wave and he acknowledges you with a nod.

"Hey, Y/N"

Pepper pours a can of Diet Coke into a glass of ice and wanders back to Tony's side.

"Move over, Tony"

Sam and Bucky  hunch over Sam's tablet and compare their popularity ratings on social media. Steve watches with a bemused expression.

"Why do your ratings matter, Sam?" He inquires "Its not like no one knows who you are."

Sam smirks "You think I wanna come in second to Rambo, over here? No! Besides there ain't not way he's more popular then I am!"

Bucky comes to life with a low rumbling laugh "Look at this Bird Boy!"

Steve and Sam peer over his shoulder.

"Tumblr!" Sam screeches.

Steve jabs a finger at the screen "Iheartbuckybarnes says 'Bucky is bae'. What does that mean?"

Tony, who's full attention was on Pepper glances over.

"Mrs. Barnes says 'My poor baby just wanted some plums'" Bucky roars with laughter, and he and Steve high five.

"Let me see that!" Sam stabs the screen, furiously "Why are there so many pictures of Steve and I running? Are these people stalking us?"

"Wouldn't doubt it" Tony mutters "Your perfect faces and sob stories."

"Jealousy isn't cool, Tony" Peppers teases.

"Oh - here's one of you, Steve" Sam turns the screen toward him.

Bucky snorts "Don't let Y/N see that one."

"See what?" You wipe your hands on a towel, and cross the room.

"Steve-" Bucky eyes Sam, a devious grin lighting up his face.

"-kissing Sharon" Sam finishes.

"Whaaaa?" You look sideways at Steve, who is blushing crimson.

"It was a mistake." He sputters "We were neighbors and she helped me out when I was protecting Bucky and-"

Bucky looks Steve dead in the eyes " That's Steve, for you, Y/N. So sharp he cuts himself."

You console an embarrassed Steve "As long as it never happens again, I'll live with it."

"Thanks, Doll" Steve mumbles.

Clint smirks at you "Nice job, Mrs. America. Keeping the peace and putting everyone in their place."

"Is that sarcasm, Barton?" You frown, pouring yourself a ginger ale.

Clint sways side to side on his barstool "Some of it. A lot of the time you sound like Steve, all den mother, making sure we get along."

"Steve is den mother?" You laugh.

Clint makes a face "You know what I mean. Point is, we're all adults. Let us have our fun."

You frown "Is something wrong, Clint?"

He sighs "There you go again."

"Sorry, I'm just concerned" Clint doesn't hear.

Tony joins the heated conversation on the side of Sam and Pepper joins you at the counter.

"Seen Nat yet?" You ask.

Pepper points at the figure descending the stairs with her glass "Phil sent her on a mission yesterday and she didn't get back till late this morning."

"Is that why Clint is POed?"

"Ask her" Pepper scoots over for Natasha.

Natasha frowns "He wanted to go with as if I'm not perfectly capable of taking a mission by myself."

"This never bothered you before" Pepper comments.

Natasha shrugs "I told him to get over it or risk letting me go permanently."

"What?" You demand "After all you've been through? He loves you!"

Her nostrils flare "He's holding me back, Y/N. I need him to stand by my decisions. He's not helping me with my problems as much as he is becoming one."

"But what about his feelings and what he thinks? I know for a fact he respects you as a fighter and if he wants to tag along it's not because he thinks you're weak. He just wants to be with you."

"Well, his 'love' is stifling" Natasha tries to conceal her anger "You're too late to change my mind. I told him we need to take some time apart."

With that the spy saunters off, and joins Bucky on the couch.

"That's not good" Pepper mutters.

Your voice catches in your throat and you curl your hands in fist "Not at all! Thems be fightin' words!"