Wake Me Up Before You Go

The one thing an early morning run will do is  both induce and give an outlet for your thoughts.

Whatever anger and frustration you feel with Steve works out of you by the end five mile run.

Now all you feel is regret. Regret and weariness.

"Took you long enough" Pepper greets you cheerfully "Steve's been back for half an hour already."

"What do you expect from a Super soldier?" You down the bottled water she hands you.

   "You're welcome" She says with a wink.

   You can't help but laugh "You're getting to be as bad as Tony."

   "I hope not" Pepper fakes shock "One of us has to have two feet on the ground."

   "I'm really glad you're back, Pepper." You grin.

   Out of the corner of your eye you see Tony stumble sleepily into the room in his boxers and a wife beater.

   "So am I" Pepper says out of the corner of her mouth.

    As you leave the room you hear Pepper's voice "Wake up, Nerd. You have a business meeting in an hour."

   "Natasha, wait." Clint bounds down the stairs after the red headed woman "Coulson briefed me on the mission this morning. Steve is gonna fly the Quinjet to the drop off point."

Natasha groans out loud "Just what I wanted."

Steve was doing a job for Coulson?

Clint sees the expression on your face "He didn't tell you, did he?"

"Tell me what?" You glance nervously from Natasha's retreating form to Clint's face.

"They're going to Russia. Coulson wants a report on the Red Room and the Winter Soldier Project." The information is a shock to your system.

"Is B-bucky-" you sputter.

"Steve didn't want to risk it, but you know how those two are."

"Do I ever!" You break into a stumbling sprint, mentality cursing yourself for not being more attentive to Steve earlier.

Natasha and Steve are boarding just as you run up.

"Don't you dare leave without saying goodbye, Steve Rodgers!" You shout into the hanger.

He pops his head out the door "Y/N! What are you doing here?"

"Called it!" Bucky's voice rings out.

Steve covers the distance from the plane to you.

"Did Tony tell you?" He asks.

"Clint did" you gasp "What in the world were you thinking, trying to leave without telling me?"

"I thought-" Steve searches for the right words.

"Don't" You fling your arms around his neck, and bury your face in his chest.

   Steve holds you tight, inhaling the scent of your hair "I wasn't sure what to say."

   "I'm sorry, Steve" you blurt "I'm not trying to be insensitive. I just need time."

   "Is two months long enough, doll?" He has a sort of smirk on his face.

   "Two months? Are you kidding me?" You pull back.

   There's a sadness in his eyes "I wish. Coulson wants to clean out Hydra's labs and find anything we can."

   "Two months" you repeat "Steve-"

   He shakes his head "Don't think about it too much. I have a good team and we've been through worse."

   "You better come back to me, Steve." You struggle to hold back angry frustrated tears.

   "Doll" he kisses your cheek "It's okay."

   "No it's not" you shake your head.

   Bucky stands in the door of the plane watching with a little smile.

   "You keep both eyes on him, Bucky. Brain him if he even thinks about doing something stupid."

   Bucky rolls his eyes "When I figure out how to stop him, I'll tell you."