Limited Choices

Tony's face is drawn when he leaves the infirmary. He takes Pepper aside and speaks to her first.

From your spot on the couch you hear nothing, and Natasha plants herself in front of you barring your way.

"I need to know" You make your voice steely.

"And you will know, but let Tony finish first." Her expression is sympathetic but her tone means business.

"Don't stop me Nat!" You take a deep breath.

"Steve wouldn't want this, Y/N." An angry edge creeps into her voice.

That hurts!

"What the {Captain America Issued Language} do you know about what Steve wants? You left him behind! I don't care that he told you to leave! You're supposed to be a {Captain America Issued Language} team! You know he's gonna do something stupid! What didn't you stop him?"

The redhead woman dodges as the force of your anger sends tremors through the building.

"Y/N!" Peppers voice is sharp.Tony purses his lips.

You pull yourself together but not before shooting a furious look at Natasha.

"We need to talk" Tony says.

- - - -

"I don't get it" You stare at the scans of Steve's brain and the X-rays.

"Something happened in Russia" Tony says "He had an accident or something traumatic happened."

"Like something happened to Bucky?" You guess, looking up at the dark haired man "But if they reactivated his Winter Soldier programming like Clint said, he would be on the side of Hydra. They wouldn't kill him."

"They might" Tony says "That program is old. The Widow program is newer and arguably more successful. They might flush out all the older models."

You swallow hard "What does this have to do with Steve?"

"Like I said, Steve suffered some kind of trauma to the head and part of his brain is blocked off. He can't access certain memories any more."

"What? L-like amnesia?" Your voice fades to a whisper "H-how bad?"

"At the moment, he's got the mental capability of a ten year old. I can figure out if it's permanent or not, but I need time."

"So Steve is ... gone." You hang on Tony's every word, swallowing at the sudden lump in your throat.

Tony nods "For the moment. You need to decide what you want to do."

"With Steve? Why me?" You brush away furious tears.

"You're his fiancé/girlfriend. I'm sure he'd trust your decision."

"Can he talk?"

"Yes, but he doesn't know any of us, and won't say much. Believe me, Y/N."

You press your hands to your face, tears seeping between them "Oh my god!"

Pepper puts a hand on your shoulder "We're here for you Y/N. We'll get him whatever help he needs."

"But he's Captain America!" It sounds silly, protesting now. "Everyone who's ever hated him is gonna come after him now. Besides the press will have a field day."

Tony takes the seat across from you and folds his arms "I can create a retirement story. We can take him out of the country to some private facility."

This is the end of Steve's career and possibly his life. What are you gonna do? It could very well be the end of your life, as well.