Dead Men Live Again

A sudden coldness sucks away dark oblivion and Steve blinks at the dim yellow light, swaying above his head.  Multiple fractures and bruises make his limbs heavy and unwieldy. It doesn't help that his arms are strapped to the metal surgical table. Haze fills every crack in his mind.

   What is this place?

Through narrowing eyes, Steve takes in the guards against a metal door just in front of him. To left and a little above him, three men in white coats examine data eagerly.

To see the other end of the room Steve moves his head slightly. Suddenly a metal hand clamps over his mouth.

  Bucky Barnes is wilder then Steve has seen yet. His too long brown hair is matted and unkempt. Recent scrapes from battle go untreated. There is no warmth in the blue eyes that lock on Steve.

   Steve's chest rises and falls rapidly with a surge of adrenaline. He tears from the table ripping Bucky's metal arm from his face, and vaults from the table.

   The metal hand does not have pain like the other and Bucky wriggles free. Tony's admantium design repositions its self to slide from Steve's grip, and reforms.

   Several scientists shriek and flee the room as Bucky slams Steve onto the mother board of a large piece of computer equipment.

   "Herr Captain!" The ones left try to reason with the Soldier and their captive. One goes as far as to pull a taser from his coat, but Bucky's metal fist nearly clips him and the taser clatters to the ground.

   Steve claps his hands over Bucky's ears and the other man staggers "Snap out of it, Buck!"

   Bucky swings wildly and Steve shoves him away.

   "Stand down, Captain America!" A clipped German voice rings out in the room.

   Steve straightens, not quite believing his eyes "Red Skull!"

  The brilliant Johann Schmidt is not changed. His red cheekbones are sharper and his face is more drawn, exposing the shape of the bone beneath. Madness is written in his eyes.

   I saw him die!, Steve insists, He disintegrated in front of me!

   "Is it too much, Captain?" The Skull asks"The three of us, You, me and James surviving against probability, against logic."

   Steve swallows his shock and clenches his fist "I defeated you once. I can do it again."

   "But you didn't, dear Captain" Skull gestures and moves to the screens "Surely you must know the power of the very blood running through your veins. We are no mere mortals."

   "What do you want, Skull?"

   "Merely this" An eerie smile stretches across the crimson face "The war is not over, Steve Rodgers"

   A sharp burst of pain explodes in the back of Steve's head and his vision blurs.

   "Say hello to your friends for me, won't you?"