Moving On

Steve's training sessions always start with rigorous cardio.

     "Steeeeeve" you yawn.

   You're a college student! You wake up too late  to make breakfast and he expects you to get a full workout in?

   "Don't" His sternness is playful, but you don't push it "We're running, today."

  You tie double knots in your shoes, and follow Steve to on his running path.

   "Slow down" you gasp trying to keep up with Steve's stride "I'm new to this."

   Steve laughs at your expression "At least keep going."

   "I'll... jog" you wheeze "Just don't leave me."

   Steve shortens his stride and double steps, staying beside you.

   "You know, I think you'll start enjoying this after a while." He teases.

   "A stroke and a collapsed lung later" you snort.

   You sprint silently for a minute.

   "So I've been thinking about us" Steve blurts.

   Your agitation with Natasha rises to the surface of your mind "What about us?"

   "I want to...move forward. We don't talk about it much. But I'd like to consider... marriage."

   "What?" You stop in your tracks and Steve throws out a hand to keep you from kissing the concrete.

     Is he serious?

   "Does that surprise you, Y/N?"

   Uh, yes!

    To be perfectly honest, your relationship with Steve is almost purely a working relationship. Just like Clint says, you keep the team in check and you parent them.

   As for your romantic life, you really didn't have one. Steve would greet you with a kiss, sometimes and a squeeze when he was feeling daring, but there was never a push for your relationship to move forward. It was just there.

   "Steve" you sigh "I don't know."

   His face contorts in confusion "What's not to know? I love you and I want to marry you."

   "What if I don't.. want to get married, that is?" You ask, searching his face.

   "I can wait" Steve frowns "But you have to explain yourself."

   The idea makes you groan. The sun is barely up and he wants you to think.

"We work well together, Steve, but that's not a good enough reason to get married." You try to soften the blow "I don't know that I'm ready for marriage now."

Steve's face is drawn and you have a sudden desire to make him smile "Then what do you want from me, Y/N?"

"Time" you say, realizing that you have just used Natasha's way out "I mean... darn it! Let me think about it."

"Are we still dating then?" Steve asks, softly.

   How do I answer that? I can't lie to Steve, but I can't keep doing this!

Your silence is an answer of it's own.

"I understand " Steve swallows hard "See you back at the Tower, Y/N."

You watch the gorgeous blonde man sprint away from you as fast as he can.

   Smooth, Y/N.

A shriek of frustration escapes your lips.