Way Back When...

I close my locker after grabbing my chemistry book, but leaning beside the locker beside me is Brantley.

"My little Sammy," he says smiling.

" What is it, Brant Brant?" I ask as I return the smile.

"You are the only one that can get away with calling me that, missy. I was wondering if you would like to ditch your last class," he says taking my book away from me, "and go to the spot to go fishin'?"

"I don't know about that, Mr. Brantley," I giggle nervously, "I have A's to maintain."

"It is just one class," he pouts.

"Your mom will kill us both," I shake my head before winking at him and heading for the back door of the school.

"Well, some goody two shoes has gotten a wild hair today," Brantley teases me. I grab his truck keys and run for his truck. "You are not driving. You know no one drives my truck," he takes off after me. I hope in his truck and lock the doors. I make faces at him through the windows. He tries to act seriously mad, but every few seconds his lips would twitch into a smile.

"Sam, you're going to get us caught."

"Is big bad Brant Brant scared of getting caught?" I say mockingly.

"No, but goody two shoes Sammy is," he says as I see a teacher walk outside. I unlock the doors letting him quickly jump in and take off. I sit in the seat right next to him even though it's a three seat truck. He gently puts one arm around me as I lay my head on his shoulder.

"Don't forget I have to be home at four to let Lacy have a break before I cook dinner," I remind B.

"As long as I can come over for dinner," B jokes.

"How about I bring you some? Dad has gotten bad, and the doctors believe all outside contact is bad for him right now." I could tell B felt bad for bringing it up because he patted my shoulder. He, also, quickly changed the subject.

"Mom is having a get together at the house next Friday. She wants you to be there, and I know she'll tell you about it later this afternoon."

"She told me this morning while I was waiting on you and Kolby." He whips into the grassy area surrounding the pond. We both automatically pop out of the truck grabbing fishing poles and the bait. I also grab my bikini that I leave in Brantley's truck for these occasions. We both bait our hooks and throw our lines out. We sit on the bank beside each other in silence. Brantley slides his hand over to touch my hand, but I suddenly get a tug on my line. I jump up and start reeling in my fish. I unhook it and throw it back.

"You always get a fish before me," B chuckles.

"They know I'm pretty, so they're dying to see me," I joke.

"You're not pretty. You're gorgeous." I laugh, but he shoots me a death glare. I stop laughing and fall silent. He wraps his arm around me like he did in the truck, but then he kisses my forehead. "Any guy would be lucky to have my best friend."

"That's why I don't have a guy," I giggle," because they're all intimidated by you." My phone suddenly starts ringing, and I grab it looking at the caller ID. It was from Lacy, but she usually doesn't call while I should be in school. I answer as I stand up and walk away. "Lacy?"

"I'm sorry. I know you're in school, and I wouldn't be calling but," Lacy says slowly.

"Lacy! What is wrong?" I say getting extremely nervous.

"Calm down. Everything is going to be fine. Your dad just had to go to the hospital. He had a heart attack," Lacy tries to explain it easily," you can come to the hospital this afternoon, but you need to stay at the Gilbert's tonight. I've already talked to Becky."

I hang up the phone because I'm crying too hard to say anything, but suddenly two arms are wrapped around me. I am squeezed into Brantley's grasp and I feel better even though he has no idea what is going on.

"Babygirl, I've got you," he whispers into my ear. I barely hear him over my own breathing.

When I can finally catch my breath, I look up at Brantley to say, "I have to stay at your house tonight." I could tell he gathered that something is wrong with my dad because he closed his eyes tight.

"I'm not going to tell you sorry because you hate that, but I'm here for you, Sam."

"Let's go see my dad," I say shakily.

When we get to the hospital, my dad can't even talk because he is so weak. I still sit there for an hour, but I got Brantley to stand outside while I was in the room. I kiss my dad's cheek before I leave the room.

"Let's go," is all I say to B.

 We ride in silence until we get to B's. I walk outside to their backyard and sit under their oak tree. I sat out there for an hour before I noticed Brantley was sitting behind me quietly with tears in his eyes along with a few running down his cheeks. Quickly, I hug him tight. He pulls me into his lap, and we sit like that under the tree until we both were done crying.

The next morning, Saturday morning, I wake up to Kolby and Brantley walking down the hallway passed the room I was sleeping in. They are arguing about rather it is leg day or arm day. I jump up and walk to the door.

"Wait for me. I'll work out with y'all," I yell after them. I shut the door long enough to throw on my workout outfit; I ran out the door and to the truck where they were waiting on me.

"We aren't going easy on you, Sam. So if you can't keep up with the exercise then we will skip you."

"Aye, aye captain," I smile.

They did tone down their work out for me, but luckily it was leg day because my legs are stronger than my arms. When we walk in the house, Momma B has breakfast cooked. She cooked bacon, eggs, and toast. A light breakfast compared to usual, but she also has to get ready to go to Saturday school.

"I will be back at three thirty, but you boys be nice to my Sam," Momma B says as she walks out the door.

After she leaves, Kolby goes down the street to meet up with one of his friends, and Brantley gets ready for his team meeting before his football game tonight.

"I know you're not the cheerleader type, but would you like to go to my meet and practice today? So you're not alone today." B asks sweetly.

"Let me go shower and put some decent clothes on first."

During Brantley's meet, most of the guys were surprised to see me because I usually don't even go to the games.

"Samantha, how is your dad?" Coach Ryan asks while the guys are on the field doing their exercises.

"He's in the hospital. Thanks for asking," I say, but decide to change the subject before he can say anything else," how's the kid?"

"He's doing good. Playing football as well." I watch as the guys huddle up and start one of many of their plays. I keep my eyes on Brantley to see how his part of the play works.

I smile as I watch him enjoying and pushing himself on the field, but we make eye contact for a second and he smiles brightly.