Goodbye Isn't an Option

"Got it," The Doctor was saying to Amy when we walked in "He's at a place called Winter Quay. The car, yes? Let's go."

We all crammed in, and I drove. Because no one, as Amy said, not even an Angel could be brave enough to get in my way while I was in the driver's seat. Unless they were going for mass disasters, of course.

We looked up at the Winter Quay housing apartments. Nothing particularly special. It was a classic, but was also a bit shabby. Many stories high, with bold, light up red letters sitting atop the roof spelling out the apartment's name and suspended above it on a network of metal frame.

"Why would they send him here? Why not zap him back in time, like they normally do?" River wondered, as we headed in.

"We'll know that when we know what this place is. 

"Winter Quay," Amy tried out the name in her mouth, and put her hand in mine.

"Bring it on," I said to the complex. Why should I be scared? I'm with three of my safest, favorite people, looking for my fourth. The inside of the complex might have been quaint and relaxing at one point, but if so it had long since abandoned this setting for a scarier, keep-looking-over-your-shoulder issue.

We took a creepy, self-opening elevator. I didn't want to, had it been up to me, but if it was for Rory, I would jump off a cliff.

"Rory?" Amy called, as we were emptied into a hallway.

"He's close," River breathed.

Amy found him in apartment 802.

"Rory!" She cried, giving him a long hug of relief, which he returned.

I gave him a fleeting one, but went back to the hallway to see what was holding up the rest of the gang.

Turns out, it was an Angel at the end of the hall, that was smiling vacantly at us.

"Why is it smiling?" River was saying.

"Maybe it's stoned," I said. No one really had the heart to appreciate my fabulous pun.

"Okay, you need to stop," I addressed the Angel directly as I redid my hair up into my black fedora. "You are supposed to be weeping. Give me anger, give me tears, give me death, but on no account do you lot smile in my direction. You got that, Mr. Stone?"

"Did you just tell of one of the deadliest races in the galaxy?" River asked.

"Yeah, well, wouldn't be the first time."

The Doctor noticed the nameplate on the room of 802, that read R Williams, and rushed into the room shouting the Ponds' names.

"Get out of here! Don't look at anything. Don't touch-"

But his hopes were spoiled as Amy noticed someone in the bed in the room through the hall.

"Who's that?" She asked.

It was an old man who pointed at us. "Amy," he wheezed, holding out a shaking hand to her. She approached him, and took his withered old hand. "Amy, please. Amy, please. Please."

"Rory? It's you."

Of course. I would recognize this beautiful blue eyes anywhere.

"Amy," old Rory sighed one last time, and feel asleep for what was surely the last time.

"Will someone please tell me what is going on?" Rory begged.

"I'm sorry, Rory," The Doctor said, sitting in a chair. "But you just died."

"This place is policed by Angels. Every time you try to escape, you get zapped back in time," The Doctor explained.

"So this place belongs to the Angels? They built it?"