Ruby Explodes

It was a good day at first, I guess.

The song Supermassive Black Hole reverberated through the Tardis, while Rory and Amy played darts, and I practiced my skills at professional abstract art. In other words, I was scribbling on my jeans with a ballpoint pen.

"Forty six. Rubbishy, rubbishy, rubbish," Amy was saying.

"Hello? It's a double top," Rory argued.

"Excuses," she scoffed. I looked up.

"Wrong side of the wire, mister," I informed Rory.

"How can you tell, all the way from there?" He demanded. I shrugged, and went back to scribbling.

"You're on the oche, Red," he pointed out to Amy.

The Doctor turned off the scanner, which he'd been studying with disturbing intensity, and turned to look at the Ponds briefly. He saw me scribbling on my jeans, and I saw him give up all chance that I'd ever grow up. I smiled at him.

He ruffled my hair briefly, and I smiled. Sometimes I felt like he was more my father than my lover. But mixing the two brought back painful years of my childhood, so I kept them separate. He was my lover. He just watched out for me.

He turned away, flipping off the pounding music.

"Who wants fish and chips?" He asked.

Rory raised his hand like he was in primary school.

"I'll drop you all off. Take your time, don't rush."

I blinked. What?

"Er, and you?" Rory questioned.

"Things to do. Things involving other things."

"Well, we'll stay with you. We'll do the other things," Amy decided.

"No," he answered too quickly.

"Whatever you're up to, I'd personally like to be a part of it," she said.

"Yeah," I agreed. "And I am not about to third wheel another date."

Amy noticed his expression, and melted like she always did. "What?"

An alarm blared suddenly, and we were all thrown to the ground.

"Solar tsunami. Came directly from your sun. A tidal wave of radiation. Big, big, big!" He shouted.

"Oh Doctor, my tummy's going funny," Rory complained.

"Well, the gyrator disconnected. Target tracking is out!"

"Where the hell are we going?!" I screamed over the racket.

"Assume the position!" He yelled.

We all assumed fetal position, with our hands over our heads, our heads on our knees. Everything went suddenly still.

"Textbook landing," The Doctor marvelled, climbing to his feet. He absentmindedly offered me a hand while he spoke, and I took it, hoisting myself to my feet.

"Behold, a cockerel! Love a cockerel."

I looked around skeptically add I stepped out. Amy had done my hair in loose curls today, and they blew in my face.

"And underneath, a monastery."

"Mm. Thirteenth century?" I asked, walking around absently. "Has 1400's look, but smells like the 22nd century."

The Doctor did a double take on what I'd said.

"Oh, we've gone all mediaeval," Amy said.

"I'm not sure about that," Rory responded.