The Beginning of the End Pt.2

Nate's POV

I found her in the last place I expected to find her. She was sleeping in the lonely biography section of the library. Her legs were tucked up to her chest, and she used her backpack as a pillow. She looked so innocent, yet so tired.

I didn't want to wake her up. I liked her this way. In the most simple and basic way. At peace finally. As if the chaos she caused had exhausted her. It was hard not to love her like this.

Then it hit me.

I loved Matey. I loved her, and it didn't scare me. She held something against me and I didn't care if she hurt me. I loved her too much to even care.

Smiling, with a new sense of realization and content. I sat down next her and caressed a piece of hair out of her eyes. She stirred in her sleep, and slowly her eyes opened to reveal those bright blue eyes that had greeted me, her first morning in Palo Ville. The same eyes that warned me, it would be impossible not fall for her.

"Good morning." I whispered, letting my hand linger on her soft skin. Matey smiled back, but it seemed strained.

"Hello serial sleep depriver." She greeted me.

"You okay?" I asked her seriously. Matey furrowed her brows and seemingly contemplated her next choice words.

"I'm as great as a loon can get." she replied sarcastically with a mere shrug. "I mean, if you factor in all the weird shit i've done my entire life, I'd say i'm doing okay. Why? Are you okay? Everything chaotic in pretty boy land?" she fired back, steering away from her real answer.

"Well the taxes are too high in pretty boy land." I played along.

"I would assume, with all the hair gel and teeth whitener you guys use." she quipped. Without warning she quickly stood on her feet and offered me her hand. I frowned but took it anyway. "How long was I gone?" she asked, making it clear she didn't want to talk about the cafeteria scene.

"Uh, about half an hour." I answered her.

Matey groaned and placed her head in the crook of my neck. "I just missed history class. Whatever." She waved off, "I'm sure it's all about the failed bank system President Jackson had. Hey, do you wanna sit here for awhile?" she asked.

"Yeah." I answered immediately. Sitting and being with Matey seemed by far better than going to calculus. Better than anything really.

Matey and I sat in the biography section for what seemed like forever. Her head on my shoulder, and our hands found each other. Soon she drifted off into oblivion. Her soft breath hummed the silent library and it was bliss.

I could get used to this.

***

Matey's POV

"Who else knows?" Laurel asked, her brows closely knitted. She didn't wear her usual bored expression. Neither did she try to conceal her sadness. It was a new side to her, one I didn't want to uncover. I didn't want sympathetic Laurel, I wanted cold, sarcastic Laurel. My version of Laurel.

"So far, just Ezra and you." I answered her. I rummaged through my closet until I found the right outfit. I held it out for Laurel to see it and was surprised to find her glaring at me.

"You have to tell everyone else!" she snapped angrily, "I'm not kidding Matey, everyone has to know that you're leaving."

"They already do." I retorted. I held up the flower patterned dress and held it up against my body. "Do you think this dress it too much?" I asked, deciding to drop the conversation.