The Trouble With Matey

"Hans is going to look a little different when we bring him in here. All I ask is that you guys don't react too harshly, he's very...err sensitive right now." I explained to Laurel, Reese, and Pj who were oblivious to what I had done to Hans.

"What's going on?" Laurel began to ask when Nate and Ezra got out of the car, lugging an unconscious Hans. For safe measures, I placed my pink sunglasses on him to make him look like he was still awake. Laurel could be really scary sometimes, and I didn't want to fall under her wrath.

"Hey guys!" Ezra chuckled, but it sounded strained as he tried to hold up Hans. Nate smiled and gave everyone a friendly nod.

I don't think they suspect a thing-

"Did you knock him out!" Laurel cried out, shoving me out of the way to get to Hans.

Maybe not.

Laurel threw off the sunglasses, they flew off and smacked Reese in the eye. He cried out in pain, but no one really paid attention. "Hans, can you hear me? It's me Laurel." she said softly in a rare affectionate voice. She placed her hands on both sides of his face and massaged small circles with her thumb.

"Is he going to be okay?" Pj asked from behind me.

She spoke softly as if cautious not to overstep her boundaries with Laurel. However, Laurel ignored her and talked to Hans softly, coaxing him to wake up. Finally after another minute or two, we heard an inaudible grumbling come from him. Then his eyes opened slowly, and unsurely.

"Hey." Hans smiled when his eyes focused on Laurel. The corner of her lips lifted in a rare, beaming smile. "Why do you look so worried?" he asked.

"I'm not worried, not anymore." she chuckled, giving his lips a soft peck. Nate and Ezra helped Hans on his feet again. "Are you okay? Does anything hurt?" she asked searching his face for any visible scrapes.

Hans chuckled and shrugged, "My head hurts, but it's not that bad. What happened?" he asked curiously, finally taking the time to assess his surroundings . He took note of all us at the creek, then his eyes landed on Pj. He quickly looked away from her and stared at me with a flat glare, "Never mind, I think I know exactly what happened."

I faked a sob and wrapped my arms around Hans, "Oh thank god you're okay! Ezra was a wild animal when he attacked you! I tried to help, really I did, but I didn't want to be his next victim!" I cried out, placing all the blame on Ezra.

"Hey!" Ezra snapped, offended for being outed. I shot him a glare to shut him up. But it wouldn't have worked either way, Hans squirmed out of my hug and glared at me.

"This isn't a game! This has to stop Matey!" Hans shouted, I shrunk back in shock. I've never been yelled at by Hans. He usually just goes along with it all. I may have crossed many lines this time. "You have to stop trying to manipulate people into doing your bidding because you don't like how a certain thing is!"

"But I was just trying to help Hans." I frowned, crossing my arms protectively. "I probably went too far, but it was for a good reason." I tried to explain but Hans wasn't trying to hear it.

"Everything you do is ridiculous. Is this about Pj?" he didn't give me a chance to answer, "I'll tell you right now, that this was none of your business. If I wanted to talk to Pj, I would have reached out myself."

"I was just-"

"Trying to fuck up again?" Hans cut me off bitterly. Nate stepped beside me and used himself as a shield from Hans.

"Dude, lay off." Nate warned.

"No!" Hans snapped, "She needs to hear this, because I doubt the rest of you will set her straight." he turned to me and stared at me like I was a stranger beneath him. "You think you're helping, but really you make things worse. So stop scheming to get what you want and for once stay out of my business."