The Lake House, Choices and First Times

Lydia

We'd spent two weekends a summer for the past three years at Allie's lake house. It was what I called a lake mansion with three floors and a basement we had all to ourselves. Secret passage ways and an indoor hot tub. Basically the lake house was our mid-camp paradise.

"Alright, Molly gave me a list of prospective candidates for recruits," I told Annie, Hayley and Allie as we sat on the beds of our bedroom. The basement had three bedrooms and a living room with a pullout couch. Usually we ended up sleeping in the living room if we slept at all. The bedrooms were just a place to put our luggage. That's why one went unused.

"Can we go over them tomorrow?" Annie groaned. "Let's take a break from business now. I, for one, think the hot tub looked pretty appealing after a long week of dealing with Domidick and Dani the traitor."

"Annie, focus. We can't start tomorrow because we have to pick tomorrow," I said.

"And this is why Lydia's leader, she can't seem to get off task," Hayley laughed. "She's right, by the way. We do have to get on this, we don't have much time left. Although, I'm sure we could go over this in the hot tub."

"And it's not like the recruits are suppose to be secret from the guys. Not like we're planning pranks out in the open or anything," Allie added.

That's how we ended up in the hot tub with a list of campers in Backwood and two boxes of extra cheese and bacon pizza.

"Oh, how about Casey Shay?" Annie asked. "I met her last year, sweet as can be. She's been to camp one year already, she's got two more years before being a JAV and she's on the track team at her high school. Head's have to be fast runners if we're not to be caught."

"She's already been a year?" I asked, taking a bite of pizza.

"Yeah, she was in Limit Challenge last year, remember? The cute girl with blonde curls that helped you beat Keith in tug-a-war."

"Oh yeah, I remember her. Pretty badass little girl. She's fifteen now, ain't she?" I highlighted her name on my list. "Alright, one down. One to go. Anyone else pop out to you guys?"

"And what do you girls thing you're doing in the hot tub without us?" Keith and Alexi stood in the doorway of the hot tub room. Hayley and Allie giggled at seeing Keith in his swim suit, Annie and I just rolled our eyes. Somehow, we'd become immune to Keith's goofy grin and seemingly photo shopped abs.

"For your information, we're looking through potential recruits. We just need one more and we'll be good." I said. "What about you guys, you have your newbies picked out yet?"

"What do you think Wes and Jack are doing?" Alexi asked. "See, unlike you girls, we don't have anyone staying a camper next year. So we've got to think long and hard about the new kids, because they're going to be it. Sure, we can help out as JAV's, but that would be cheating if we did it too much."

"Not my fault I'm one of the youngest returning head's in the last ten years," Allie shrugged.

"Yeah, the youngest besides my second year," I agreed. "What can I say, we find some pretty badass, well rounded, genius girls in Backwood. Guess you can't say the same for Knights Burrow."

"Don't diss the Burrow," Alexi said as he slid into the water next to me. "So who you picking?"

"So far we have Casey Shay. We just need one more," I said. "You know who Wes and Jack are picking?"