Something happens and something is confessed

Wes

"Wes, something happened."

That's how one of the worse phone calls of my life began. With Hayley telling me "something happened".

Talk about the understatement of the century.

"What? What's wrong Hayley?" I asked, leaning against my bed. I looked at my watch, it read five-thirty. Which meant it was probably around four-thirty in Illinois and Hayley and Lydia should still be in training. "Wait, why aren't you at training with Lydia?"

"We were only there for like half an hour today, our coach got sick," I could tell Hayley either was or had been crying.

"Hayley, what happened?"

"Lydia is in the hospital. Brando hit her with his car," I actually dropped my phone. It just fell out of my hands. Lydia, hospital, hit with his car.

Does. Not. Compute.

"Wes, Wes hello? Wes you still there?" I heard Hayley's voice yelling from my phone. I scrambled to grab it again, running my free hand through my hair.

"How long ago?"

"About an hour ago. Paramedics got to her in time to save her legs and spine, she's not paralyzed or anything. But she is in surgery. I don't know, something important got crushed and they're trying to fix her. Charlie just called me like ten minutes ago, he called Nicole first. I think he's on the phone with Annie now. Her dad's stuck at work but he knows."

"What. Happened. To Brando?" I gritted my teeth. That bastard, if her brother hasn't killed him yet, I sure as hell would.

"He's sitting in the waiting room. Charlie said he wouldn't let him anywhere near her when they brought her in or let the doctors talk to him when they give updates. I'm headed there now as soon as Nicole gets here to pick me up. From what Charlie told me, no one saw it but Brando and Lydia. People heard a screech and a scream and a crash and they saw Lydia past out under the car and Brando calling for help."

"I'm flying out there," I said, starting to pile clothes on my bed, looking around for my suitcase. "Tonight I'm flying out there."

"Wes, you don't have to-"

"Then why did you call me Hayley? To let me know what was happening and have me not able to do anything? That's what I've been doing this whole time and look what's happened. I'm flying out there, tonight."

"Call me when you land and get to your hotel," Hayley said before hanging up.

"Suitcase, I need a suitcase..." I looked around my room more, then remembered our suitcases were in the front hall closest downstairs. I threw my phone down and ran to the front room.

"Dad, I need to fly to Chicago tonight. Book me a flight would ya?" I yelled, pulling down my suitcase. My dad walked out of the kitchen looking extremely confused.

"Woah, slow down there Wes. What's going on? You can't just decided you have to fly out to Chicago." My dad said, trying to put my suitcase back.

"Lydia was hit by a car, she's in the hospital, she's hurt and she needs me. I have to fly out, Jack will let me stay with him, his parents already agreed to let me stay whenever I needed to."

"When did they agree to this?"

"Summer," when I told him I thought about running away from home because of the move. "You moved me away from all my friends, you've made me live in a place I can't stand. I'm miserable here but I stay not complaining because you had a good chance for a job here and for some reason you like the stepbitch. Now I'm asking you, no I'm telling you that I need to do this, you have to let me go." My dad looked at me in silence for a few moments.