Costumers and doubts

Lydia

"I'm telling you Lydia, no good is going to come of this," My best friend Nicole nagged at me once again.

"You know how many times I've hear this?" I rolled my eyes and looked out the car window. Another lecture from another friend on something I already knew and didn’t want to hear.

"He pushed you out of a car! And this isn't the first time. You know Charlie knows that-"

"Charlie knows? Oh, please do tell me more about what my wonderful older brother, who barely speaks two words a day to me besides yelling at me to get a job and a license or calling me stupid, has to say about something he knows nothing about."

"He's worried about you. We all are," Nicole pulled into the school parking lot and stopped at our normal space. "He knows-"

"Don't even finish that lie," I yelled, grabbing my bag and slamming open the car door. "you can tell Charlie that if he's worried about me why not instead of going through my friends to find things out and try to get me to listen he should try taking two minutes out if busy days of chasing after my friends he doesn’t have a chance with and screaming at me to be an adult to actually ask me if anything is wrong!" I got out and slammed the door shut, stomping off toward the building.

"Lydia! Wait, he's only trying to help the best he can," Nicole ran after me.

"Then you can tell him he needs to get better at it. And he can start by getting off my ass about the job and license. I don't care if he's an adult now that doesn’t mean I suddenly have to be one."

"He just wants to make sure you'll be alright next year without him. Your dad works a lot and he just wants to know that you'll be able to get around and have ways to get the things you need. It's just going to be you two in that house and all."

"If you're hinting at the fact that he wants to make sure I'll be alright with no mom and no him next year, we all know I'll be fine. I've lived most of my life without either of them taking care of me, I can take care of both me and my dad just fine. I already do," my mom had died when I was a little kid. Car accident, I had been with her and survived. Technically she had survived the crashed, she had died four days later in the hospital. No one ever told me what of.

"You should tell him why you don't want to drive," Nicole said. She knew how cars made me nervous, and the thought of being behind the wheel of one completely terrified me.

"He should know that already. He lived through it same as I did."

My brother and I didn’t have the greatest relationship. There were times we got along so well and I would hope to have a chance to always be like that with him. But other times we wouldn’t stop screaming at each other. We'd fight and call each other names and hurl insults back at each other, always trying to one up each other. Sometimes these fights would make us stop talking for days on end, the longest we've gone not speaking to each other was a month. I did love him and all, and I knew he loved me, but it was so hard to get along with him when I was so different from him.

"Have you tried talking to him?" Nicole asked.

"Yes, dozens of times. It always leads to him blowing me off or us fighting. It's his turn to try," I adjusted the strap on my shoulder, one of my nervous habits that usually tip my friends off to change subjects. "Hey, I got to go backstage to help out Helen in the costume room. I'll see you at lunch." Helen was our costumer, she's this little old lady who is the cutest thing in the world but doesn’t take any crap from anyone. She's like a grandmother to me and probably my favorite adult in the whole school.