chapter 52

"Josh?"

"your boyfriend?"

"he's not-" I'm cut off by knocking at the window again. I roll it down, "why are you here?"

"I could ask you the same thing"

"how did you find us?"

"Emily called me. she said that you said something is going on between us and I have to fix it"

"there's nothing to fix"

"obviously there is. there's something you're not telling me"

"I think you're the one keeping secrets"

"What?"

"why didn't you answer me the other night? you just jumped off my roof and I haven't heard from you since"

"I told you, I can't talk about it"

"there you go again. I'm done with the lying and the secrets. between you and hunter-"

"What does this have to do with hunter?"

"you first. one secret at a time, please"

"liz- "

"you've wasted your time coming here" I roll up the window and turn to niall, "drive".

Josh's POV.

"you've wasted your time coming here" she rolls up the window and the car speeds off.

everything dark, except for the car that brought me and the giant tin screen playing 'Grease'.

I stare at the screen for a moment. I find it ironic how the song he's singing perfectly relates to my exact situation.

♪stranded at the drive-in♪

♪branded a fool♪

♪What will they say♪

♪Monday, at school?♪

♪sandy, can't you see♪

♪I'm in misery?♪

♪we made a start♪

♪now we're apart♪

♪there's nothing left for me♪

♪love has flown♪

♪all alone I sit and wonder♪

♪why-yi-yi-yi♪

♪why you left me♪

♪Oh, sandy♪

I replaced the "sandy's" for "Lizzy".

"hey! come on! it's cold out here!"

I look behind me to see Harry honking the horn. "get in the car! we have to catch up to them!"

I run over to the car and get in the passenger seat.

Lizzy's POV.

"you mind explaining what that was?" niall asks.

he took me to a park. we went over to the play set and we've been sitting in the sand in silence for a while now.

I shake my head. I can't explain. I don't know what to say.

he sighs. I get up and walk over to the swings. I sit on one and grab the chains holding it up off the ground. the rusted metal is cold under my skin. I push my feet and the sand moves behind me. then I kick my feet in front of me and lean back.

I repeat the motions until I'm swinging high. higher and higher I go. i lean back so far my hair scrapes the sand. I sit straight and kick back. I go higher.