027 》nine times

• ophelia // the lumineers •

5c
are you busy?

7b
never too busy for you

5c
can you come over?

7b
be right there

Jax ran into her apartment, not even bothering to knock. He furrowed his brows and looked around. "Where's the breakdown?"

"What?"

"You asked me to come over. I figured you needed these," he said, pulling out a pocket-sized plastic package.

"I have tissues, thanks," Kaede chuckled. "I just needed to talk to you."

"Oh," he sighed. "Then why couldn't you just text me?"

"This is more of a 'let's talk while eating Chinese food' conversation," she said, opening her arms to the take-out food on her coffee table.

Jax shrugged and smiled at the girl. He took a seat beside her, digging into the chicken fried rice. "So, what do you need to talk about? Are you finally going to tell me why you keep getting nightmares?"

"Kind of. I need a favour," she stated. He hummed with a mouthful of rice, motioning for her to continue. "You know how I've been an amazing neighbour and have watched Pogo countless times for you?"

"Nine times," Jax corrected, pointing a fork with a chicken ball on the end at her.

"Whatever. I would like to ask for something in return."

He smirked at this. "Oh, really? You mean besides the food I bring you after each babysitting session?"

Kaede scoffed, handing him an opened envelope. He licked his fingers clean of the sweet & sour sauce, then grabbed the letter suspiciously.

 He licked his fingers clean of the sweet & sour sauce, then grabbed the letter suspiciously

Jax read for a moment then exclaimed, dropping the letter and raising his arms, "No! Oh, no. I am not going with you to that thing."

"Oh, come on. Please?" Kaede whined, dragging the vowels. "I haven't seen my parents in three years, and they will most definitely be there. Just thinking about seeing them again after all this time has spiked my anxiety, and it's why I haven't been sleeping well. I really need you for this."

The pleading look in her eyes made him consider it, but still wary. "I don't do weddings, Kae. I'm a shit dancer, I drink too much, and I'm awkward around adults."

"You're an adult."

"I mean around adultier... adults."

Kaede rolled her eyes, continuing anyway. "I would not ask you unless I absolutely needed to. Jaiden is one of my favourite cousins, and we were best friends growing up. I want to be there for her, but I can't unless I have someone there for me."

Jax sighed, putting his head in his hands and shielding his eyes from her. "I'm not dancing!"

Kaede squealed, wrapping her arms around him. "Thank you, thank you, thank you."