023 》geeked out

• higher love // james vincent mcmorrow •

7b
meet me on the rooftop
at midnight

5c
why?

7b
don't ask questions

***

At 11:55PM, she slipped a pair of Vans on her feet to leave the apartment. Kaede grabbed her keys and locked her door. She wasn't sure why Jax had called for her, but she had a feeling it was something ridiculous.

Reaching the roof access door, she opened it with a hard push. Jax stood near the entrance, practically bouncing on his toes with contained excitement.

"Hey," he greeted with a smile. "You did something illegal just to cheer me up, so I've decided to return the favour."

"I hope this doesn't become a thing we often do," she half-joked, fully walking onto the roof.

"Let me explain. Remember when you geeked out the other day about the meteor shower happening tonight?"

"Yeah, but we can't see it because of all—"

"The light pollution," he finished for her. "What if I told you I had a way to fix that?" he asked, becoming more and more excited about something only he was in on.

"Holy shit, what have you done?"

"Come on," he beamed, putting his hand out for her. She took it, and he led her to the edge of the roof, staring off at something.

Jax's smile grew wider as Kaede became more confused.

Then... there was darkness. Her mouth fell open looking at the newly darkened city—all the power was out, only the car headlights to light to roads.

"How did you—"

"I've got a friend that works at the power grid. Look," he told her, pointing up at the sky.

Kaede gasped upon seeing the beautiful meteors that flew across the sky. She wouldn't have been able to see it without the darkness—without Jax's help.

She hadn't noticed the blanket he had laid out for them when she had first walked in. He invited her to lie beside him to watch the shower with an unobstructed view of the sky.

She did so, not noticing the way his eyes stayed on her cheerful face while she focused on the stars flashing above. That was when he knew he'd do anything to keep that smile on her face—even if the cause was mildly illegal.