011 》okey-dokey

• already gone // sleeping at last •

Jax hated that Kaede wouldn’t talk to him. He knew that before he could get Kaede to forgive him, he had to talk to his father. So he put the skills he was taught to good use and found the hotel where his father had booked a week stay.

Jax wasn’t sure what to do. On the taxi ride over, he went over it in his head. ‘What should I say? Should I apologize for leaving? Should I wait until he apologizes for pushing me to leave? Will he talk about his job? Should I tell him about mine? Do I say that Willow’s been staying with me? Does he already know that she is?’ Jax didn’t know. But he did know he wished he'd had Kaede to help him through it.

He reached the hotel and all his thoughts started mashing together like gibberish in his mind. He walked forward and toward the main desk.

“Hi,” he greeted the woman behind the desk, anxiously tapping his fingers on the counter. “Can you give me Anthony Castle’s room number please?”

The receptionist smiled and asked, “And you are?”

“I’m his son.”

“Okey-dokey,” her chipper voice sang. Her fingers flew across the keyboard before she told him the room number.

Jax took the elevator up to the right floor, then searched the halls for the room. Standing in front of the door, he felt his confidence plummet. Eventually, he lifted his fist to knock.

The door opened, revealing the greying man in a tailored suit.

Jax smiled tightly, saying a quiet, “Hey, Dad.”